Do relationship scars ever go away?

My ex boyfriend cheated on me and then insulted me afterwards. It made me feel worthless. It's been over a month and I still feel so much resentment. I'm not upset that I lost him, I feel I deserve better, but it really lowered my self esteem because he treated me so disrespectfully. Does this kind of pain ever go away?

45

Most Helpful Guy

• You're giving over WAY too much power over your emotions to someone else. YOU get to decide how you feel, it's not up to someone else. YOU are the one that gets to decide how much influence it is going to have on you.
    This isn't a 'relationship scar' - you're making it a bigger deal than it is. YOU are giving it legs.
    Pick yourself, dust yourself off, and move on. Consider you dodged a huge bullet. Be thankful it happened now and not later. You'll get through it, I promise.

• Thank you, that helps so much

Most Helpful Girl

• I am so sorry to hear that one person could make you feel like this, he is silly for thinking that it was okay to degrade you like that and put you down. He wouldn't have liked it if the tables were turned and you had done that to him. Guys often think that it is 'ok' to put girls down because it's the 'guy' thing to do, and it most definitely is not. You should not let the 'opinion' of one guy put you down. There are so many other guys out there who are going to think you are the best thing they've ever come across, that will treat you with the most respect and how you deserve to be treated. He is a fool for cheating on you and I don't agree with anyone that things cheating is fair and an 'ok' thing to do, because it isn't. It is mean and a cowards way out of a relationship. He insults you because he thinks it makes him look like the big man, when in reality, he looks like an idiot. It doesn't make him look good and it definitely won't get him far in life if he thinks insulting people is clever. You are not worthless, you mean so much to so many people and just because one person has tried to bring you down, don't let him. You will always always come out on top. You do deserve so much better and you will finally get that one day, a man that will treat you right and you'll forget about his this one boy treated you. The pain will go away, course it will. You'll be the one that is happier and I can say this is great confidence, that guy will grow up and he will regret every treating you like he has, men always come back and try to redeem themselves, trust me! You're a great person and you should never forget that!
    Keep that head held high & Keep Smiling!

• Oh my gosh I really needed to hear that, and you're completely right. This helps me so much, thank you!

• You are more than welcome! I am so glad this bit of advice helped you! Good Luck with everything, you deserve to be happy, lovely!

What Guys Said 4

• Yes... it all goes away the mint you meet the next person that triggers your feelings again

• its like real scars. they grt lighter and lighter over time until you can barely see them anymore, but they never disappear fully.

• yes, treat ur self better. There'e much boy.

• yes.

What Girls Said 3

• Yes it will go away. He's a shit head

• No, they do not. I've felt bad forever. :( We're in the same boat.

• it will go away like never happened