How do you get over someone?

How do you stop the feelings you have towards the person you like/liked?

4296

Most Helpful Guy

• Sadly i've been in this position more than once. And the only thing that helps is time.
    Gradually you'll stop obsessing over them and life will take over and eventually you'll be fine. Best thing I found is keeping busy. Hanging out with friends, reading, out for walks... all helped take my mind off.
    Now I can think about them and not dwell on it.
    Time really does help. Give it a chance.

Most Helpful Girl

• With time and lots of junk food. Also maybe try distracting yourself. Don't just mope for too long, get out and show him/her that you're strong and you can get on without them. Eventually the pain will go away... time heals all wounds.

What Guys Said 95

• Time and as much distance as possible. The saying "Out of sight, out of mind" applies here. Remove them from your sight and your life as best you can, to allow you to get used to life without them in it. In time those gaps in your life are filled by other things and the person no longer becomes part of your day.

• You don't "stop" the feelings, you have no control over them... but you help them by moving on and keeping busy with your life. Don't sit around thinking about him/her. Get out and do things and keep busy. Over time it gets less and less, easier and easier until you're "over it".

• one day at a time.. seriously.. that is the way it has to be. Time heals but time is very slow.

• You don't. You make new ones. And you get busy with your life, your goals and aspirations. And you be AWESOME. That's how you get over it.

• Take a little time to realize a relationship needs mutual emotional connection.. without it then the relationship will always be on life support,, who wants that?

• 1,2,3 keep moving forward. And one day you'll wake up and not even think about it

Then you'll think about how you didn't think about it and that's phase 1

• You know what they say the best way to get over someone is to getting under someone new. I know cliche but its true if your obsessing over a new guy your soon forget about the old one. It works for both genders but its easier depending how long you been together. Crushes fade quickly real love will linger and may never truly disappear but it depends on the woman. I read somewhere you just got to open your heart to every relationship with a guy/girl being the love of your life and you won't feel so bad between breaks.

• 3d

That's so true, but it throws you in this spiral. My boyfriend and I broke up about a month ago and I jumped into trying to find someone new. It messes with you.

• Days, weeks, months even forever.
    Start to love yourself

• Only time can do that, no quick way, it you find someone else to do it then it only distracts you from thinking about them

• In the beginning it felt like I would never be able to love anyone else, and now I look back and am glad we're no longer a thing. Moving on is a process, but when you try to focus on other things or new people it does help.

• Occupy yourself and your time with work, friends, or hobbies, try not to think about them. Been single for 9 months and occasionally I think about her, but as soon as the thought came it disappears.

• Spending time with friends and relatives. It takes your mind off them and it's something you can enjoy.

If you don't have friends or you can't meet them you can try watching a film or working on yourself so you can attract new people in your life

• You just gotta give it time. Delve into your passions and hobbies. Eventually you will wake up and realize you feel good again.

• If I'm dating this girl and she does something bad enough worth dumping her, I would probably be angry and bitter enough to stop liking her in a short period of time.

If it's some sort of crush, I hit on her, and she turns me down, it's possible that the sting of being rejected could cause me to replace the good feelings I have for her with negative ones, and I would start to dislike her instead of like her.

• By meeting and dating new people

• Time + interacting with other women

• I don't think there is any one given sure fire method to getting over someone. Just give it time and one day you will feel differently and it won't be so hard

• Stop seeing them and getting busy helps getting over someone. Getting over someone takes time though. Its not something that you wake up one morning and its over with. it took me months to get over my old crush.

• 4d

i still say her name out of nowhere sometimes though.

• 4d

im not good at this stuff though... as my first question and my account name is made because i couldnt get over a girl.

• Its impossible

• It may not seem like it now, but you will get over him. It just takes time. It's ok to feel sad, but not enough to make you depressed. Keep yourself busy. Which may mean even going out every once in a while on a date.

• I never do completely stop the feelings I had for someone. All my exes hold a place in my heart.

• Make sure never to invest yourself in that person in the first place. Don't get into them or attached to them, and you'll have no issues with pulling away and separating from them.

• I only had 2 real crushes in my life. Neither times things worked out but the first time I developed feeling for someone else. The second time was kind of tricky because u was really in love with get. So I had to actively avoid her and change the subject in my mind whenever I found myself thinking about her and discourage myself by telling myself stuff like "she hates you, she'll never feel the same way, your no not shot your a loser" etc. It took a while but I was eventually able to lose feelings for her. That was 2 years ago and to this day I still have not had another crush in my life.

• time but thats for breaups...
    in ur case I'd say seeng new people maybe...
    making new friend...
    even here in gag πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

• 5d

stop being smooth lol πŸ˜‚ thanks though. I like making friends.

• 5d

alright then, I'm sorry for my misunderstanding 😊

• 5d

it's fine. I just put the lyrics cuz the second name of the song is absolutely lol

• we cannot totaly forget that person easily but you can deviate your mind by spending time with your friends, family and by doing those things that u like

• Time.

• I personally don't think you every truly forget the people you liked. But you just need to take it one day at a time and eventually you can be fine moving on with life and being with other people if you wish.

It's taken me a long time before to get over people, so I know personally how hard it can be.

• remove and block all form of contact with them, and ignore them in public. you'll eventually get over them

• I move on

• you find someone else who's attractive.

• 5d

easier said than done, but thanks XD

• 5d

oh then I guess I'm the opposite.

• 5d

I think most people are, so you're fine XD

• More from Guys
    65

What Girls Said 41

• It's difficult to control your feelings, but if you cut all means of contact with the person , and you get rid of anything that has sentimental value i. e. gifts, texts,
    pictures etc , you'll gain more control over your painful memories and your emotions. Reminiscing feeds your memories, and memories feed your pain. So you get locked in a cycle of grief and prolonged pain

Keep active and your mind focused on things other than the breakup. Workout and spend time with friends or family. Try something new , a new hobby. Time doesn't heal your pain, it's what you do with your time that heals it. That's why it's important to keep active and busy.

Gradually your feelings will fade and your pain will ease

• If I like that person, and I don't want to make myself confused and if they have mixed signals. If I have feelings I don't keep it in I want to know what that person thinks of me, I am straightforward. I go up to them and ask them what they think of me usually hoping it rejection so that way I know I have to move on because they aren't for me. It's now or never, something I do before the good damage happens. I know I'm weird haha. If he can't see how awesome and freaking cool you're he's not worth it, find someone who will feel same towards you.

• Get busy doing something, anything. Just as long as it fills your mind and time up from having room in your brain or time in the day to think about them. And while your doing that something, you may realize you don't need them and there's something better out there for you than giving all your strength to an ex.

• You let it take over, you let it destroy you then you get fed up with it and that's when it begins.

• Pretend their dead

• In my experience they always stopped when I found someone I liked more. Or if that person did something that hurt me and then all romantic type feelings just disappeared. Had to deal with sadness then though. I'd try for just finding someone you like more!

• you can't just shut your feelings off right away but you can start talking to new people, go out with your family and friends. keep yourself busy and delete them off of your phone, social sites and do not ever contact them again. even if they contact you, stand your ground and think why do you want to get over them in the first place.

• It's been five years since my ex and I split. Time does not always heal.
    I thought I was over him; then last night I had a random dream about him. Then bloop. Missing him

i feel it's time for a fwb/relationship without strings.

• Imagine an ex is like vomit, pure rubbish been expelled from the guts you flush it away and don't look back at it... see your ex as the vomit and that's how u get over them..
    It's hard to imagine getting over someone you liked but in time they'll be a memory and you'll take a brief moment to think of them and continue on with your life...

• Remind yourself it wasn't meant to be and you'll find better :)

• You just let it take its course. Don't fight it, you can't win.

• it can't happen right away.. you have to give it time.. keep yourself busy, put yourself out there, don't try and think like your life is over because eventually you WILL get through this

• It takes a lot of time and self-realization. Accept that you made a mistake and move on.

• Still haven't gotten over that person

• cut them out of your life, the less you see and hear about them, the less you are reminded, then try to distract you, do something you like, maybe painting or running or whatever, have fun with your friends, think about your life and appreciate everything more, you were lucky to be born in a rich country, you don't have to worry about food or a roof over your head, appreciate the little small things like a sunset or enjoying really nice food, maybe do something good for the society, help others, volunteer etc. if he would be the right for you it would be smooth sailing, he was a part of your life, i am sure you learned some lessons, you won't make some mistakes again, now it's time to move on, he was just a part of the journey to meet the right guy

• Sad songs, friends, immersing myself in hobbies, and finding new crushes.

• only time will help i guess you could try and find new hobbies
    and try and find a way to "hate" that person

• you don't just stop having feelings for that person. wen you find more friends to hang out with and engage in activity, I guess that they slowly go away because ur focus is on others things

• Find something to do

• Time, time is the only thing that will ever help you truly get over someone. The longer you're away from them, don't see them, or speak with them, it just makes the process of getting over that person much easier day by day.

• You will get to the point where u realize u deserve better and will not tolerate any ounce of disrespect. also in future reference never give more than the other person.

• I liked a guy for four years just recently told him how I felt about him and we both agreed not to start anything. It was really hard trying to get over him I would think to myself that I'm starting to get over him and then the feelings would rush back again now that I have told him how I felt it's made it so much easier to move on and I feel so much better in my self not having him in my mind all the time

• 1. Admit you like
    2. End contact
    3. Focus on yourself: family, friends, goals, habits etc
    By having social connection face to face with close ones feels great; and having goals and habits to work on feels like you are progressing in life

• focus on their bad qualities.

• You don't. You just find a new normal

• think constantly bout the most terrible thing they've ever done to me/ said to me/ put me through. And think God Damn did I Dodge a bullet. then feel heart broken and get mad then eat some chocolate an watch Netflix then eventually forget bout they're existence 🀷

• one big thing is time i can't stress that enough give it all the time you need also block and remove them from wherever you have them (Instagram, snapchat, twitter, facebook ect) block their number and keep yourself busy either working or going out with friends just keep busy to keep your mind off them

• I end things with them and live my life. Always works.

• It takes a long time. What's most important is you. Don't try to be friends, because it will only prolong your pain. I've found intentionally cutting them off completely works wonders. Block their number, block them on Facebook, twitter, Snapchat, instsgram, Tumblr, Reddit, heck, even Pinterest. Get them out of your life. Outta sight, outta mind.
    Then go find something new to do. A new hobby, a new sport, anything.

• Write a list of why you feel like you two wouldn't work and what he did that made you feel like he wasn't right for you. Review the list when you start to miss him. Make yourself get out and try new things to meet new people. Its easier said than done. Im currently going through a breakup as well. You willl be ok. You got this.

• More from Girls
    11