Why do many women/man stay in a relationship as they say,(for the sake of the children) con't?

Only to regret that decision many years later after they finally left?

Most Helpful Guy

• it does more harm then good. kids can tell that they are unhappy and will think that's how a relationship is supposed to be

Most Helpful Girl

• I've heard that happens a lot. My parents included.

What Guys Said 7

• Well, not all of them leave... It's important to stay in the marriage or relationship for the children because, depending on their age, separation can really have a negative impact on them. Don't be selfish. Sometimes the couple might not 100% love each other anymore, but at least be there for the children. If they're older, and divorce is the only option, that's different. If the child is much younger than around middle school age, it would probably be better benefited if you two stay a couple.

• I hear what you're saying but I personally think staying for the kids does more harm than good because they clearly see a dysfunctional relationship modelled for them. its better to see mummy and daddy happy apart than together and miserable

• whatever, when you'll face it one day then tell me

• You're not making any sense buddy. Did you even read any of my posts?

• They've been raised to think anything that is a non-nuclear family is somehow automatically detrimental to the development and well-being of the children.

Sometimes this is directly related to an event of divorce in their lives that wasn't handled well, coped with, or is blamed on for their own faults.

• Well, I believe a non nuclear family is detrimental to the well-being of the child. The dynamics/biology of the nuclear family, allow the child the MOST optimal environment for flourishing. Both a loving mother and protecting father. That's what children need.

• And that's fine, by all means, none of the data or anecdotes for thay matter support it, but you know how tricky those studies are

• There's plenty of data supporting how much more beneficial it is for a child to be raised by both a mother and father.

• chldren need routine and structure,
    I totally get why someone would sacrifice their own happyness for the sake of their child's mental health

• Cause breaking up messes with the childs psyche, however, continual arguing infront of said child is more detrimental in my opinion.

But not eeveryone sees it that that way.

• there are many reasons
    one is because their partner is abusive and they believe that if they leave then the abuse will get worse

• I think a lot of folks do...

• Cuz they rather be un happy an complain even if you Tell them get out of a bad thing

What Girls Said 1

• Because humans make mistakes