What was the reason for your last breakup?

A question for those who have had relationships or who have even dated someone briefly (whether sex was had between you doesn't matter). What was the reason you broke up, and who ended it, you or them?

1822

Most Helpful Guy

• I broke it off after I realised she had qualities that would make me unhappy in my future. I also realised that I lacked some mental maturity and needed understand myself more before I could consider being in a relationship again.

Most Helpful Girl

• He has no personality of his own, has no idea what he truly wants from life, and tries too hard to turn himself into what he thinks those around him want him to be. I felt like I didn't know him once the honeymoon phase has worn off.

What Guys Said 21

• She said she "liked me as a friend more". So here I am now, being a single pringle and enjoying it. Who needs a relationship? There's always anime, music, ice cream and friends

• Good on you man, one of the most important lessons I've learned is that being happy single is key to having good relationships in the future.

• Yea, I've learned that too. I'm just gonna do what I love before I graduate. The next time a girl will be on my mind will probably be during prom season. Maybe not because I want to stay home and make music or play video games

• My last relationship lasted 2 years. I ended it because I was in love with her and, after 2 years , she was not in love with me. At times, I did not feel particularly important to her. She would have continued the relationship indefinitely if I had not walked away from her.

• she was too immature. i felt like i was dating a pre-teen.
    i broke up with her

glad i did because i met the woman who'd become my wife two weeks later

• She did drugs and cheated on me, but it's okay because someone hit her with a car seven months back 😂

• My last girlfriend had a pattern of flaking on me when we made plans and a combo of her parents controlling her life and her immature attitude definitely sealed the fate of that relationship.

I get it that some cultures have the parents directly influencing or controlling their kids life even into adulthood is normal but I was under the assumption it wouldn't effect us but boy was I wrong lol 😂

• It matured long enough that the next step was to be married... or move on

We couldn't get to that point. So we just seperated but still talk

• lack of communication and distance became a bigger issue as we became closer emotionally. we both sortof faded away but i guess she ended it more so

• She was a psycho who enjoyed throwing knifes at me when we argued, at first it was just my general direction but I realised she was a tally aiming at me

• She took money from me without asking and spent it. If she asked me I would have gave it to her. I ended it no questions asked.

• Amazing 9.5/10 personality, but I stuggled to be attracted to her physically. I eventually ended it after a year.

• Money and selfishness. Both were kinda related somehow. I'm grateful that it happened because it made me more stronger than I was.

• Someone woke me up.

• well and this happened 3 years ago , when my girlfriend liked me for the way I look but not for who I was and was trying to change my basic personality. . . .

• She fell out of love and in love with another guy. I ended it. 2yrs and it ended bc she played around being my back and lied to myself and her parents.

• I wasn't happy and wanted her out of my life so I dumped her

• Obsessive, paranoid, hated her guy friends, flirted with my peers.

• she stole from me and our household, got involved with the wrong crowd, couldn't do that

• I was dumb, that's literally it

• Cheating on me with 2 guys at same time

• cultural and religious differences

• lack of, well no sex or any emotional contact

What Girls Said 17

• He always chose his friends over me. ALWAYS. His friends never even really tried to get to know me nor did he really try to get them to know me. My friends also hated him especially my best friend. They did not get along. He was insecure about me going to off to college and finding someone better looking or better personality wise than him. I was a year older. He was a junior in HS and I was a senior at the time. Our breakup was kinda weird. There was some miscommunication. We both decided that we would break up before I left for college, but I thought he meant like RIGHT before. As in, we'd stick it out for the summer until I moved away. He thought we were breaking up right then and there. So in the eye of the public it sorta seemed like he broke up with me, but it was still a mutual understanding that we weren't going to be together by the time I went to college. I guess he didn't want to get more attached to me by deciding to stick it out through the summer.

Funny thing is, while I did fool around last/this year and even went on a couple dates with a guy I was really into, I didn't actually get into a relationship with any of them so he really had nothing to fear. I actually met my current boyfriend years ago and we reconnected towards the end of my second semester however we don't even go to the same college so my ex's fears were actually for nothing.

• My emotions took over me and he wasn't there for me when I really needed him he actually wad ignoring me and I guess he had some issues but he never wanted to tell me what was going on so I broke up with him.

then recently I saw him and knowing that he tols his friends that it was his fault that we broke up is kinda a relieve because he didn't blame me on everything. we didn't exchange any words but before I left I was a bit tipsy was in a cuddeling/hugging mood and he knew so he hugged ms really really tight and looked me in the eyes and said "had enough hugs" I nodded but he said "I don't believ you" and hugged me again. it was weird but I feel like it did say something.

• We are from a culture where parents play a huge role in relationships. Within a month or so when we were in relationship, he started saying he wants to marry me. I didn't really want to hear that as I was worried that it's just the beginning and things wouldn't work out and it might not come true. But we social differences, he had always promised that no matter what he would marry me and convince both of our parents. I didn't think his parents would play such a huge role, but when they finally met me... even though I did my best for them to like me. they disliked me possibly because I was from a different caste/social background. He felt pressured at home to not be with him. He resisted and rebelled as much as he could so they would accept me. But in the end, he felt outcasted in his own house because he loved me. He finally became really sick/ started having auditory hallucinations. But he gave up on me and us thinking I was the cause of his psychological problem... He said, we'll take a break, but when that break became into break up I don't even know... may be he was too coward to tell me he wants to break up. I had to ask him if that's what he wanted... and even then, he was too coward to tell me the reason why he broke up. He never came to my face and gave me an explanation for breaking up. He did it over the phone. But now I realize, there's no other explanation except his parents put so much pressure on him that he became insane and left...

• I moved back to my hometown after finishing my masters degree. Neither of us was interested in long distance, as neither of us wanted to live in the other's province.

• I don't really count it as a relationship but whatever that mess was ended because I moved to another country. I'd like to think it was a mutual decision.

• mine was because i realised it was lust and not love.
    and also the way he behaved made me realise he doesn't really love me.

• He's a selfish pig who doesn't think of anyone but himself and has issues he refuses to work on. I tried everything to make it work but he didn't. So we broke up.

• Last breakup was unfortunately done by him. And it was because he finally realised we were not compatible and would have made each other miserable.
    Previous breakups by me were because I started to find that he was a sucky human being and he may or may not be gay.

• He broke up with me, because his feelings had faded because of the long distance.

• We both lost interest. There wasn't much communication going on.

• Weren't spending a lot of time together

• On 2 different levels

• Never had a break up.

• I ended my relationship because I was not over my ex and felt it was fair to the other party.

• he was having sex with another girl

• the reason was conflict

• My boyfriend said his parents wouldn't accept me why indian boys are like that