What are your thoughts on the term "ex"?

Most people have an ex or exes. Generally speaking I find there are a lot of negative connotations that go with it. I'm bothered by it as I've only ever been in one previous relationship, and while we're no longer together, we're still really good friends. I don't like calling her my exe because I don't want people thinking poorly of her. I've taken to using the term "Mer" in place of exe (short for forMER). Anyway, what are your thoughts on the subject?

23

Most Helpful Girl

• It doesn't bother me. I'm not on bad terms with any of my ex's, if people want to think there is a negative connotation about our relationship based on their own experiences with ex's that's their business. Changing the word doesn't change the fact they're an ex

• It doesn't change that they're an ex, but the words we use to refer to people affect the way they're perceived by others. My exe is still a really good friend and I don't want people to think poorly of her simply because she's an "exe." I don't want the negative connotations that go with the term ex to apply in any way to my former girlfriend. Hence coining the term "Mer" as a replacement, specifically an exe but one you are on good terms with and/or bare no ill will against. :)

• Be that as it may... the word quiz was invented on a dare. With how easy it is to spread information throughout the internet, I plan to make an effort to make it a more commonly used term. And I don't really care if someone else's opinion doesn't actually matter. I don't want her to be thought ill of by anybody whether or not the opinion of someone else matters. She's a good friend and she means a lot to me... you can insult me but if you insult or speak poorly of my friends, I take issue with that. I'm not saying you should use a different word or anything like that, these are just my thoughts on the topic.

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 3

• I say ex because it was an (ex) periment towards a permanent life of happiness and love that didn't happen the first, 2nd,3rd, 4th, 5th etc. number of times we failed! Times I

• I just call them ex

• who cares what they're called generally you don't want to think about them

• I do :/ my "exe" remains one of my best friends, I bare her no ill will and I'd rather not have people thinking poorly of her simply for being my "exe."