What was the point of my ex reaching out when he is about to move 3 hours away?

We dated for 2 years and he stopped treating me right and took me for granted. He always came first and made me feel like I didn't have a place in his life. He planned on moving/ transferring out of state to follow unrealistic dreams I didn't agree with and made this his #1 priority. He had good days sometimes which were always amazing but he became hard to be around. It was hard to leave because I loved him so much.
Anyway, after 2 months of no contact, he reached out that he missed me and wished I could have gone to a concert with him. This happened the week before he started school and was about to move 3 hours away. Then we get to talking about why I left and he admits to being super selfish and stubborn. He tells me he thinks about me everyday and all he wanted for the longest time was to see me but here he is about to leave for school. He told me he was sorry for what he put me through and that he hopes I find someone who treats me right.
What was the point of him reaching out to me? Because I am confused. He told me he comes up on the weekends for his job. Do you think he wants to try to see me or reunite? What was his aim?
5
2