How do get over your ex?

47

Most Helpful Guy

• Why You're Addicted to Your Ex

Why is it so hard to let go of an ex? Even when a relationship is history, the connection you shared is not easily erased from mind or body (oh, yes, chemistry can outlast commitment). Anything that reminds you of your ex can bring back a flood of feelings. Being single can also blur your memory. You may look back with "euphoric recall," remembering only the highs and none of the lows. Even if the relationship was a disaster, you may not want to believe that you wasted your time and heart on a jerk. So you vow to "make it work," and hope things will change. You might even be trying to avoid future regret. What if this relationship was as good as it gets, and you never find anyone else?

Like any difficult change, breaking the ex habit requires a good dose of self-control and a dash of self-compassion. Here are four tips for moving on,

Find a Role Model.

Science shows that we can "catch" willpower from people we admire, and strengthen our resolve just by bringing them to mind. Look to your own life, pop culture, or the news for a "ditch-the-ex" role model. Who's your favorite example of a strong woman who kicked a man to the curb, and is doing just fine on her own (or on the rebound)? Think of yourself as following in her footsteps, and bring her to mind when you're tempted to stalk your ex on Facebook.

"I Won't" Is Easier When You Have a New "I Want."

The best way to make an old habit less tempting is to find a new "addiction." The bad news is you can't order a new crush from Zappos. So how do you replace the longing for an ex without jumping into a new relationship? Find a new goal—like running a race for charity or writing a romance novel—or return to an old passion you'd left behind, like cooking, bellydancing, or blogging. When that "something's missing" feeling comes up, get busy on your goal instead of fantasizing about getting back with your ex.

Take Care of Yourself.

Stress is the No. 1 trigger for any addiction, including old flames. Feeling overwhelmed, exhausted, or anxious triggers a physiological need to connect, and a craving for what psychologists call "contact comfort." Stress also makes your brain focus on potential reward, and ignore potential risk. So you're likely to imagine the warm embrace of a romantic reunion, and forget the shame or regret you felt after the last hook-up.

• Pre-empt stress-induced longing by treating yourself to some serious self-care: Schedule a girls' night, pull out that yoga DVD, get a manicure and massage, or do whatever calms your nerves and lift your spirits.

Beware the White Bear.
      There's one guaranteed way to make sure you never forget your ex: Try to push him out of your mind completely. Psychologists call this the "White Bear Effect." If you try not to think about a white bear, one will assuredly pop into your mind. This is true for all kinds of temptations. Dieters who try not to think about chocolate become obsessed with it (and eat more of it). Smokers who try not to think about cigarettes only end up smoking more. One study even found that if you try not to think about an old flame, you're more likely to dream about him or her. So when an ex comes to mind, don't panic, and certainly don't take it as some kind of sign. Remind yourself why he or she's an ex, then put your attention back on someone you really care about—you

• Narcissism falls along the axis of what psychologists call personality disorders, one of a group that includes antisocial, dependent, histrionic, avoidant and borderline personalities. But by most measures, narcissism is one of the worst, if only because the narcissists themselves are so clueless.

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well. 🙃

You're Welcome. 😊

• Thanks for selecting my opinion as most helpful opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• Try to stay busy and spend time with your friends/family and just try to meet new people. Don't spend the Sundays by yourself because it will only make things worse and you'll miss your ex for sure. Try to stay occupied and focus on yourself while enjoying your life, time will heal it. Believe me.

What Guys Said 6

• You need to find things you enjoy more on your own and focus on settling your life how you want it, well that's what I did

• Thank.. and I've been keeping my self occupied. It's only been a week. And I still find myself slipping thinking of them.. even tho they did me so wrong

• Thank u for ur comment very uplifting. Bless u

• Your very welcome

• By getting over them

• only time can do it. you can speed it up by falling in love with someone else.

• Thank u. However falling in love is not a game for me I can't just love someone else like that..

• i know... i just got outta one in February. I very weel know your plight

• Sorry to hear that.. in due time.

• Dating other people

• I couldn't

• Find new one

What Girls Said 3

• things work out the way they do for a reason. we accept everything ELSE about our miserable existence- why not accept loss too? the world is an ocean. you're the rock in the middle. all you can DO is take the beating.

• Realize how much you don't need them, and how strong you are. Get into a sport, hobby or some good books. Listen to music, go on a walk, self improve yourself

• i never did, so i won't be of much help. Just focus on school or your job and stop stalking him on fb, texting him, and calling him. And block him from your phone