Going to uni and my boyfriend wants to break up with me, what do I do?

Me and my boyfriend have been together for a year and we've had a bit of a rocky ride. We had been off and on for the start of our relationship until I put my foot down and we broke off for a month. He begged me every day during that month and a bit over until I agreed to meet him and he poured his heart out to me saying he's realised how much I mean to him and he hasn't stopped thinking about me. So we got back together and our relationship had been amazing ever since. Until recently when i found out i got into university and decided to go. He gets very jealous and insecure when I even go out without him and he said he doesn't think we will work at uni. He said also that he's in a really bad place mentally and struggles to even get up in the morning and doesn't feel like he gets along with any of his friends, he broke down to me saying all this crying. He said he still wants to see me before I go to uni and talk and stuff. I'm going away to uni next week and really don't want to give up on us, I will only be an hour train ride away and he can stay for weekends and I'll stay aswell back home, as he has an apprenticeship at home. I don't know what to do, should I give him space or try and get him to stay with me? I've told him i want to support him and help him but he keeps saying I'll be better off without him and be happier without someone like him and he ends up upsetting everyone. What do I do? I really do love him and don't want to give up on us and said that if we try at uni and it doesn't work out then fair enough but it's the fact he's not even willing to try. He's also unfollowed my social media as he can't bare to see me post photos of things of myself. Help!!
3
1