Boyfriend broke up because he needs to "find himself" but keeps texting me?

Background: My ex and I met online and dated for 5 months (we are both 24). We dated for 5 months. He opened up and said he hates his job and that he would like to quit and "find himself". I always wondered if this was bad timing for him and that he needs to know what its like to be independent (since he has practically jumped from relationship to relationship).

When I was away on a trip he told me his job was going to give him a 8 month contract in another province. He said he would like to do long distance with me. He said he knows it would be hard to be separated but hopes we can visit one another.

After my trip I came and we were hanging out. I decided to ask again about meeting his parents and from that question he poured out all of these doubts he has been having. He basically said that meeting the parents has never felt right and that something just seems "off". He said that he thinks he needs to be by himself for a while but he would like to stay in touch. He concluded that he does want to break up and that he is going to stay single for a long time to be able to sort out his life. I accepted this answer and thanked him for our time together and that there was no anger or hostility.

This happened about 2 weeks ago. I respected his decision and have not been in contact with him. About a week after this conversation he texted me out of the blue for a silly reason. He kept up the convo for the night and concluded by asking me if I was back to dating online. I asked him if he thinks I am that type of person and he said of course not and that he wasn't back online either. He then added that the last week has been tough for him because we haven't been communicating.

I wonder what his intentions are and what he wants from me moving forward. I would like to get back together with him but I am not willing to put myself on hold until he is "ready" - whenever that may be. I also don't know if I can emotionally just be friends.
3
1