How do you stop an obsession?

I have a particular problem with checking an account my ex used to follow. It has painful memories and I don't know why I feel anxious when I don't look at it each day. I have tried blocking it.
Ideas on self control or when I might not want to anymore?

417

Most Helpful Guy

• You need to start valuing yourself more. You are throwing your life away by not loving yourself.

Most Helpful Girl

• There is no magic recipe for self control. It's a conscious decision you make that requires WORK and ACTION. People want a quick fix but there is no such thing. If you want to quit a obsession you have to go all out and make the daily effort to tell yourself to stop. Distraction is a good strategy and also rewarding yourself if you go through another day with no obsessive acts.

What Guys Said 16

• There are many ways but it depends on your personslity factors. Here are some ways for you to try.
    1- try concidering it as a humilation for your dignity cuz you're stuck up and can't move on while your ex did.

2-find out how you love to express yourself either by writing drawing music etc. This helps release any stuck memories you carry a grudge on.

3-spend more time having fun instead of sitting and thinking of what to do. this helps you forget about it and once your daily routin is broken you'd realize you can live without it.

• just delete it all... it can't be good for you

• Take backup and put all pictures in a zip and put it somewhere and swear to urself that you ll never open that zip ever...

Deleting stuff is a short cut to get rid of things but it ll not prepare you for future

Keeping a zip file of your pictures and stuff will bring self control if you can stop urself from opening it

• In my case I zipped all my screenshots and WhatsApp pictures of her and stuff

And uploaded them all to Google drive..

So I don't have direct access to them

And it doesn't takes any space in my phone

Plus it doesn't bring me negativity and upsetting mood

Or any regret that I was not strong so I deleted them

by the way to look at those pics again I ll have to download the zip file and it gonna take a while
      So during that time

I change my mind of looking at them again

• And u ll soon end up with the thoughts of opening that account again

Just imagine that that account's name is sadness

Every time you think of opening it

• That's a good idea thanks

• u dont

• Good question

• Easy find a different obsession , but to find a positive one is the key. You'll soon find out that they cancel out and u won't be attracted to the bad obsession anymore. Gl

• that's a shitty situation to be honest, i have been through that my self i wouldn't say it passed peacefully but the time will do its job i guess and nothing but the time, at least in my situation :)

• break all your access to the interwebs

• Block them and move the fuck on. They'll get the message that you're no longer interested.

• there's no magic recipe. Its a choose

• We are in that same boat

• Delete his everything and tell yourself you are strong you don't need anyone he wanted you.

• Delete twitter

• You have a lot of free time don't you?

• I think u are weak that's why he keeps bothering u..#mam

What Girls Said 3

• easy. delete them all. anything you have at home reminding you of him, burn them all or just throw them in the trash or shred them. donate old clothes and change your number. do this after a good last cry and accept the fact that it is over and THEY LEFT YOU AND THEY ARE NEVER COMING BACK.

• Delete the app

• Take ur time but first step would be to delete ur account cuz it gonna be a problem if u keep doing that.