I cheated on my boyfriend so we broke up up. He says he wants to remain close (even best) friends. How should I take this?

My now ex boyfriend broke up with me due to infidelity (I was drunk and told him immediately afterwards). We met for lunch and talked, and he said he wanted to help me (I'm an alcoholic) and was closing the door on the possibility of a relationship now but you never know in the future what could happen sort of way. I told him I still loved him and he said he loved me too.

39

Most Helpful Guy

• Off this impression alone, he seems like a nice guy. You can probably assume that he likes you a lot and that he wants to help. But the cheating hurt him so he'd like to put a stop to the intimacy for now. Take the help, take the friendship, maybe one day you'll get back together.

Most Helpful Girl

• He can't date you because of your drinking, but he wants to stay close to you. You should get help & stop drinking.

What Guys Said 8

• 0|0
  • He still loves you but believes breaking up was the right thing to do. He probably has an inkling of a hope that you can eventually fix things

• Sounds like you have him under control... Give it a few weeks and then you are back together... This is just his attempt to regain some control, but the fact that he still wants you around means he is completely in love with you... And over time you will be able to get away with more and more.

• You broke his heart so fucking much. I cannot even imagine being in his place and feel what he feels.

• your boyfriend is a dumbass.

• he's a fucking dumbass

• You can still love someone... even if you can't trust them anymore.

• Marry him

What Girls Said 2

• keep the close closed what's happened has happened and move forward also it's sign your heart is towards someone else and what you two had is more a lust

• Take it as a good thing. Sounds like you guys ended peacefully instead of full hatred and screaming and beating and stuff