Could I and should I try to move on while still hoping of getting back to my ex? How can I do that?

So I and my ex-bf dated for a year and a half. He's been dating a lot before but he never cared for anyone as much as he does for me. We had ups and downs and had our own sets of problems.

I sensed that we had communication problems and was trying to fix them, but it happened before I could do anything. He just told me that he wanted to break up, said he's been thinking about this for months and finally made up his mind for about a week. He felt like we grew apart and became different people, especially he himself changed a lot. He wanted to be alone, to know himself more and did not want to be in a relationship. That the trust issue we had also contributed a small part. He agreed to try working it out with me, but after 2 weeks he told me that he did not think it would work.

The thing is that he said he still loves me, wants me, and cares about me, that he would still be here for me, I can call him and spend the night and reach out whenever I need/miss him. We even promise each other that we would not date anyone else before we give each other another try, which I kinda believe as he claimed he did not want a relationship so why would he date anyone else. He thinks that we are right for each other but now is not the time as we need to work on ourselves and have a lot of growing up to do. He does see a future of us together and want to be with me again, but again, not now.

I have been going low to no contact for about over a week and honestly, I'm devastated. What do you think about our actual chances of our getting back together in the future, and what I should do? I know I should move on, take good care of myself, and live my life, but I don't want to lose him for all the great connection and love we share. Keeping the hope of reconciliation sounds naive and blinded, but honestly, that is the only way I could feel grounded and work on myself.

Thanks!
1
1