In the tv show "Friends", Ross and Rachel argue over sleeping with someone else during a break. Ross claims it's not cheating. Who's right?

• Ross! Sex during a break while stupid isn't cheating.
  • Rachel! Sex after a breakup is cheating if you expect the break isn't forever.

1214

Most Helpful Girl

• It wasn't a break UP, it was a BREAK, meaning they needed some space to sort themselves out and see where they stood. If it was a break UP, they would've said break UP. Ross obviously felt guilty about it, as he was trying to hide it, so he knew he did something wrong. He was just trying to justify it.
    Fuck you, Ross.

Most Helpful Guy

• You need to accept the responsibility for when you dump someone. What you're saying is that you reject them emotionally and sexually.

You can't have it both ways, what Rachel wanted during that break up was to both reject Ross and punish him, while at the same time lock off any avenue for him to be satisfied either sexually or emotionally.

You can't have it both ways, when you end the relationship you end the commitment to one another.

At the same time Ross couldn't have expected Rachel to necessarily take him back after. While I don't think it's morally wrong to do what he did, it certainly doesn't bode well for your future relationship/friendship.

If you dump someone and then want to be controlling by expecting that person to not go elsewhere for their needs, then you're just an asshole, to be honest.

What Girls Said 11

• First of all, there is no such thing as a 'break'! It is an excuse. Break up and end it. It is still cheating if you didn't officially break up. It doesn't have to be mutual but somebody still did the breakup. Not pretending your still single when you never established it. Everybody needs space once and a while as being so close 24/7 is very unhealthy. Your still cheating. He is just trying to justify having sex with other people. I'm so glad I don't watch that crap. I never understand that show at all.

• I hate Ross but I would agree with him. I think that shagging someone so quickly after the break was a dick move but I don't think it counts as cheating.

• It's cheating. A break is different from a breakup

• I don't believe in breaks. If you are on a break the relationship is as good as over. I don't think it's a good idea to hop in bed the minute they are broken up, but I don't think it's cheating either, since they are not in an ongoing relationship.

• I saw that when it initially aired and several times since then. Ross was wrong. It was basically later the same die he slept with someone else. Had it been weeks later I would be like ok well they were on a break, but same day no you're an ass

• This is why I don't like breaks! If you're not together of course they can do what they want. You just need to make sure you're both on the same page, maybe set out some rules

• It was already been determined! THEY WERE ON A BREAK!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oEn9YvJ3Gfg

• It's not cheating but I think Ross was in the wrong. Like it was a break, not a break up, and it was a time to figure out feelings and spend a little time alone, not go shag someone straight after

• Depends on the length of the break. If its over 6 months, nothing wrong with sleeping with someone else. But as far as I know breaks are taken to work on fixing the relationship.

• How much time until you can shag? I want days down to the second when its ok.

• A. Break means no relationship atm, hence you're free to do what you want.

• Rachel, duh!

What Guys Said 13

• there's no such thing as a break, a 'break' is when a woman is ready to jump ship but due to some sort of narcissistic character flaw a woman CAN NOT I repeat CAN NOT be genuinely single. She is texting and flirting with all 8 of her back burner "he's just a friend (s)," sussing out a parachute plan. "I could have another you in a minute, matter of fact he'll be here in a minute" Thats where ^ this shit comes from.

Bitch texted me today asking me how was my summer when I haven't heard from her since the beginning of this year. "Lemme guess, boyfriend pissed you off again?"

• "WE WERE ON A BREAK!!!"

Classic FRIENDS line.

I think she's right. Come on... Even though I don't believe in breaks, unless it had really ended, I don't think sleeping around is acceptable.

• There is no such thing as a break you are either together or you are not together there is no in between.

Therefore if you are not together it is not cheating.

• So noone told you life was gonna be this wayyyy. You job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's something something... its like you're always stuck in second gear... i miss that show

• Rachel was the one who's at fault here. She shunted him off both physically and emotionally. Now that's not just a break, but a full blown break up.

• I'm with Ross. If he passed it up and she didn't ever take him back, what then. Rachel never seemed to really desire Ross to me. Just thought he was too "nice" to not get with.

• Ross. But the show sucks.

• Ross... they were on a break...

• Well
    It was a break
    I vote for Rachel
    Because it was just a little break

• Nice throwback

• there are no "breaks" in a relationship. they BROKE UP

• The next day Rachel says "Can I be your girlfriend AGAIN?".

Meaning they weren't a couple at the time.

Thus, they were broken up, and he's technically in the clear.

• You're a couple or you're not. You don't sit on hold being faithful to someone you're not with.

It's like "temporary" laying someone off then acting shocked they got a part time job.