Is it wrong, if a guy dumps his girlfriend because she aborted their baby?

Scenario... A woman gets pregnant and has an abortion even though the guy ( her bf) wanted her to keep baby. Would it be wrong for the guy to break up with her? If he did, would he be justified for doing so?

139

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a totally personal decision. It's not about right or wrong, it's about what is right for YOU. While I stand by a woman's right to choose an abortion if she feels that's what she needs, I also understand the position that puts her partner in. If you no longer want to stay with your partner after she has an abortion, you're totally within your rights to end the relationship. Bottom line, you are never obligated to date someone who you don't want to date. You have the right to end a relationship for any reason you want.

Most Helpful Guy

• If he wanted to keep the baby and raise it, then yes, I can see why he would find it distasteful if not impossible to continue a cordial relationship with the person who decided to kill it.

What Girls Said 12

• He has every right to break up with her. Think about it: He didn't want this new life to be killed, and possibly wanted that level of a relationship with her. She went and killed the baby! One, that shows she really doesn't fancy his opinion. Two, she killed a person! And three, that means she didn't feel for him the way he did her.

• Wrong? She used her free-will and he has every right to use his.

I'd probably be upset with her if I were him but you can't force someone to keep a baby when they are the one carrying it.

He has every right to leave if that is his choice

• If her aborting the baby was something he couldn't tolerate, whether it be because he was ready to move on to the next phase with her and the abortion proved she wasn't or he's prolife and appalled by her prochoice decision, then yeah he's justified in breaking up with her. I would have done the same thing as the girl because I'm just not ready to have a kid. If there's a disconnect on that between the two of them, maybe they're not meant to be together.

• His feelings are valid, but so are hers. If she did not want to carry a fetus to full term, and deliver it, then that is her choice. If he could not live with that decision, and decided it was more important than their relationship, then him leaving was probably the best thing for both of them, as she deserves someone who can respect her choice and still love her.

• But if its up to her in the end how is his feelings valid can you explain that to me

• @Nerofang23 His feelings of wanting a child and leaving are valid, meaning he is allowed to feel them. But he is still not allowed to decide for her. If he can't accept it, then of course he should leave. Honestly, I wouldn't even be having sex with someone unless we were on the same page of what to do if that happens.

• It's totally alright and normal.

• I guess because people break up for less all the time. At the end of the day though, only she can make the final decision.

• Absolutely. Forget politics for a moment here. If I had a baby. I loved the baby and was looking forward to my baby coming, and someone killed it. Took it away from me. My child. I would never want to see their face again. I would probably throw things. It would be devastating. I'd probably need counseling. Especially if the person who did it was close to me. That person would be permanently excommunicated from my life. Forever. That's it.

• Any reason for a break up is justified even if the rest of the world thinks that reason makes you an asshole.

• No
    yes it is her body but its not like you didn't do anything I mean she couldn't have gotten pregnant without you so if your relationship is strong it should have been up to BOTH of you due to it being a living child

• It's her body, and until it's born, it's not his decision. It's HER burden. HE doesn't have to deal with a baby, HE only inserts his weenie in there. A woman only has so many years and if she doesn't want to give birth, then so be it. If he stayed with her to have sex but proceed to ditch when she aborts, then that relationship isn't that stable anyway.

• Well, not everyone wants to stay with a child killer. Ehem, well that's not my point of view - I'm aware that the 'child' is killed before it becomes sentient - but for some people that doesn't matter - life is life - and it's a fairly valid point of view. He probably would've stayed with her if she had the baby - or maybe he would've been willing to raise the baby himself if his partner was so against it. But in the end it comes down to differing beliefs, and that's more than enough of a reason to two people to not be together.

• If you break up over a disagreement then your relationship wasn't that strong to begin with. It's best to be on the same page with taking such a step. A child being brought into the world deserves that.

• "abortion" "disagreement". Well let me kill your parents then, seeing you equate murder to "disagreement"

• And having a child should also take two. But being committed to raising a child is a big thing. It shouldn't happen if both are not in favor

• Well, I don't know the couple nor their situation, nor how much they communicated their feelings. Maybe the father would've been willing to take care of the child himself if she was so against it? Why do both need to be in favor? Woman all the time go and give birth by themselves so they can raise a baby on their own. Men generally don't have the honor of getting such a choice, at least not without spending tens of thousands of dollars.

• I think he has a right to dump her if he doesn't agree with her decision.

What Guys Said 8

• Well if she did it without any discussion and without telling him then that's a huge violation of his trust and he would probably struggle to get over it. I don't think it's ever "wrong" to break up with someone. You're free to choose whether you want to be with someone or not. Definitely in this scenario the guy had a perfectly fair reason to do so

• Well, if it's against his belief system, no it's not wrong for him to break up. They're clearly not compatible if they hold different beliefs like that.

• Wrong is very subjective. What I consider wrong could be a normal practice for others. But I see no reason why breaking up with someone over that is different then breaking up with them for any other reason.

• No it's not wrong if he wanted it. They are both responsible for creating the child he she aborts it and he wanted it he should dump her.

• I'd kill her.

• Of course, its an important decision and you didn't agree with him on that. Though I don't know if he made a proposal. if no, its a mistake on his part.

• Id dump her

• I could not stay with a woman who willingly killed her own child.