Should we break up?

My boyfriend & I have been together 9 months. He's a very strong, independent & self proud man which I love about him. He's been bought up very hard & some people may say cold so he finds it hard to understand or express emotions.
We get on like a house on fire & our relationship is amazing. However it goes through periods where he becomes distant, previously it's been down to stress revolving around his family or work & he will eventually talk to me about it but not at the time. Then we go back to normal after a few days to a week.
This time however it's different. He's distanced himself further, reduced affection & making time for his friends & not me.
We have spoken about it & he said he doesn't realise he is doing it & thinks he has some kind of bipolar which his mum has mentioned before. But since that conversation nothing has changed. He said that his previous girlfriend said the same thing & then broke up with him. He keeps asking if I am going to break up with him now too. He's also said that I am too good & kind for him & I deserve someone who can give the same back as he can't do that & he doesn't get why he can't. He said he's 'not wired right'.
Now is he distancing himself as he is preparing himself for a break up as he's noticed the pattern from his previous relationship & we need to work through it & him trust that's not what I want to do. Or
is this what our relationship is & maybe he doesn't actually care enough but is happy have someone around until the next one comes along?
Honestly feeling so confused. I don't know what to do. I can't handle how distant & hot & cold he is being as it's making me feel insecure but I don't want to throw it away if he is distant cos he is recognising the situation but doesn't want to throw everything into it if it's going to end anyway...

11

What Guys Said 1

• He's the one for you. All you have to do is just work things out. talk to him tell him how you feel about the things between you and him.

What Girls Said 1

• He's turning it into a self-fulfilled prophecy. I am not sure there is anything you can do. I'd break up with him if I were you