Why do happy couples break up when things get tough for a short period?

My ex boyfriend and i dated for a year, but it felt like he knew me better than anyone I had dated previously and I cared for him very deeply. It was the kind of thing where we are so happy and comfortable, that we didn’t worry that it would end. The only things we fought about was what to watch or where to eat. He had a few gigs that took him away for periods of time - but even the longest 1 month we were fine. He started a new job that was over working him to exhaustion - he would get so tired he wouldn't realize what day it was. We started arguing because of miscommunication during the days he was away. I figured it sucked but once the gig was over we would be fine. I had work problems too and I think we couldn't separate our work frustrations when we were together. He ended things 2 months before the gig was over and right before we had so many fun things together planned. It didn't make sense. It's been a month since he dumped me and it still doesn't make sense. Do I wait it out and hope he realizes he lost a great thing? He cried and told me he'd miss me as if this was just as hard for him. I just don't get it... and I'm heartbroken. Can someone really end a good thing because of temporary work stress?
2
1