Why did he tell me that he can't work on the relationships?

So my ex of three years broke up with me. There was a fight which started because he comparied me to his ex (in bed). I was very upset and said he should go be with his ex then. I apologized for what I said but he broke up with me tell me how I broke his heart and he could not view me the same. The next day he messaged me asking how I slept. I was willing to work on the issue. I asked why he didn't want to. He told me it is not that he didn't but he can't. The more I am away the more upset I am at him. I am upset because I justified things I don't most guys would say to their girlfriend. Example "I could have sex with others if I wanted but I choose not to." I accepted female friends. The females were not the problem but him ignoreing how I felt when I tried to tell him. Like I did not like him hanging out with his female friend till 3am. He would just turn it around tell me I don't trust him and overthink. Somehow what I said about him going back to his ex which I apologized was worse. So bad he couldn't even think of trying to work past the problem.
Why did he tell me that he can't work on the relationships?
Add Opinion