Why do you delete an ex/friend on social media?

My ex and I have been friends for 5 years after we broke up, so he's more of a friend to me than an ex. However, recently he's been withdrawing and acting very strange. I've been subtly asking him if everything is ok and why he's been so distant but he just says he's focusing on school since he's been failing. Normally, I would have let this go but it doesn't seem to be the case because he is going out with friends and not coming home until the next day. It was to the point where he'd deliberately not open my texts even snapchatsbecause then he'd have to answer. When I met up with him to confront, him he used the same excuse that he wants to focus on school and I even mentioned how it seems to me that he's keeping his routine the same and the only thing changing is how often he talks to me. (which isn't much by the way.) I also mentioned how I valued the friendship and didn't want to lose it because losing him is like losing a brother. After I said that he told me that hearing that was nice to hear because he always viewed me as his ex. After that, the conversation went completely off topic and I decided to leave because I didn't see a point. When I left I deleted him off snapchat because why have me if you're not even going to watch my snaps? Two days later I noticed that he deleted me on twitter, Instagram, and facebook. This hurt me because it seemed like he cut me off entirely and he hasn't even contacted me since we had that talk which was 5 days ago.
Why do you delete an ex/friend on social media?
Add Opinion