Should you stay in contact with your ex?

If you were in a relationship that was so deep that you planned your wedding day and had names for your kids, a location of the first house and the first 20 years together planned out... And it ended due to uncontrollable circumstances (family, friends, relocation, religion), would you still stay in contact even if the other party wishes not too?

• Yes, stay friends to one day start over
    22%(13)23%(17)Vote27%(4)
  • Yes, stay acquainted but never get back together
    17%(10)16%(12)Vote13%(2)
  • No, refrain from ever talking to them
    61%(35)61%(44)Vote60%(9)

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on how maturely things ended. And how mature you can be with that person in the long run. If he or I were always Petty and always argued or were just horrible in general then no, I wouldn't want to stay friends.

But if we both decided it wasn't working and ended on good terms then yeah I would stay friends.

• Thanks. What if the breakup was one sided and you really wanted to keep them in your life but they insisted it was much too painful and shut you out completely? Only to contact you months later.

• That sounds like they needed a cool off period in order to be able to function properly as friends after a break up. I'd imagine if it was that deep there might always be some sort of feelings there, either they want to try again or just miss you as a friend, even if you're not meant to be together you'll still respect each other after being such a big part of each other's lives if it was a healthy relationship. But if one person still has feelings and the other doesn't, a friendship will be difficult so you both need to figure out if you're now on the same page first before deciding what to do.

• @Sienna-Rose thank you, that makes sense. The love never and possibly never will and that's the biggest problem in the end.

What Girls Said 25

• No. I have no need to keep in contact with an ex. After a relationship ends, I prefer to cut all ties and move forward with my life

• No, if it's over then it should be over and stay over. If someone feel like there's any connection still between them and their ex or they're just not over the break up, then they need to stay single until they can move on. Or try to see if they can mend things with their ex before officially take a step to move on.. but don't do it while your in a relationship.

• The only reason exes stay in contact is so they have a safety boat. Someone to go back to when the world gets shit.

• If they don't want to keep in contact then you should respect those wishes but let them know you wish them well and maybe hope you can talk again someday? I once had a great relationship that ended due to distance and our young age at the time and no other reason. We didn't talk for a year but he reached out after and we've been friends for years now. You never know, anything can happen.

• Thank you. Perfect response.

• Not if he/she doesn't want to.

• if they choose not to talk to me anymore, I will respect that.

• "would you still stay in contact even if the other party wishes not too?"

That's called 'Stalking' mate... it's not cool. Leave your ex alone before you get a restraining order on them. The relationship is over, move on with your life.

• By contact I mean available in an emergency, available for birthday parties, concerts and other social things.

• Why would you need to contact her in an emergency?

She said she didn't want to contact you... why would she want to socialise with you?

• See the breakup was not due to hate. The love was stronger than ever but as the description states, it ended due to external forces. The only reason one would say no to staying in contact would be to ease the pain. Once the pain is gone is it wrong for them to reach out to someone they still truly love?

Bottom line. Nobody hates anyone ore wanted to break up in the first place. Like a Romeo and Juliet that actually listened to their parents and friends.

Sorry man, if that wasn't apparent in then I'll word my questions better in future.

• Depends. If she had to leave you but she didn’t want to. I’ll still stand by her side. Some people just don’t want others to get hurt. Use your best judgement

• if the other person says NO, then you should respect it.
    .
    besides this, if you really wanted to be together, this way you can get over it easier. (no contact)

• If your civilized then being acquaintances isn't a bad idea, talking once every couple of months isn't a awful idea. But you should respect the other persons wishes.

• Seems You're the only one that feels that way. The world may really need more people like you, unfortunately most are all pretty screwed up by the world.

• My ex is my best friend

• Key phrase here was " still stay in contact even if the other party wishes not to"

The other person doesn't want you anymore. There are too many people who want to be in your life to go chasing someone who DOESN'T. Let it go.

• We're often told never to make decisions in the heat of the moment. What if that was the case. Can you go on knowing that they are being eaten up by regret? Would you be wrong to avoid them if they tried to contact you even though they swore never to do so?

• I would never talk to anyone that didn't want to talk to me.

• No, don't' keep contact. Take it from me, my ex and I were aquatinted, him and his girlfriend broke up and now he's trying yo get back together. Keep your distance.

• Nope

• No move on

• never say never

• Stay away from your ex

• Nope

• Nope. There is no point.

• If you have an ex its best you stay away from them because you still have feelings for that person and its best to try and forget about the person then hangout with them and be attached.

• If you break up, dont change your mind. Love is something mature

• No. Nothing to talk about

• I’m in contact with my ex, we chose to remain that way. We had never ended things on a bad note ever so we still talk every once and awhile and for a bit we were talking everyday or almost every day

• Should you? Sure. If you want

What Guys Said 1

• Not only no but fuck no

• Burn the whole bridge down and roast some marshmallows with the Flames... 🤔