My "friend with benefits" is my ex boyfriend. We still love each other and say it, we go on dates, and we can but don't date other people. Help?

My ex and I broke up, but we weren't dating very long and a long distance relationship was too stressful while I'm at college a few hours away and he's in the town that I'm from. We care for each other a lot, and when we're upset we talk to each other about it, even if it's not about us being together. He said he wants to take it slow, but in the past we've talked about marriage, and he says he's closer to me than anyone else in his life. No, he isn't a jerk just stringing me along. He's like the sterotypical nice guy, and he means the world to me. I know it sounds dumb, but I don't know what to do.
3
2