Why is it so hard to get over some who treated you like garbage?

917

Most Helpful Girl

• Because our self worth has been hit. We gave the other person importance but didn’t get it in return. We tend to view them as someone with awesome qualities and shit. Basically it is a side effect of rejection when ur logical side stops working. It will get better with time and experience

Most Helpful Guy

• Because we have a tendency to over-romanticize the positive things and devalue the negative things. We like to look at people with rose-coloured glasses.

What Girls Said 8

• Because they weren't always treated in a mean way. Usually during the initial stages of dating or getting to know someone, people put their best side forward. lf they treated you like shit early on you'd never have contact again with them. You wouldn't be drawn to them. It would be easy to walk away, because you wouldn't have develops feelings for them , or an emotional connection with them. As times goes by, you start to develop feelings and an emotional connection with them. Gradually, over time, they seem to change. Their true character starts to show. So when they treat you unkind , you cling to the happier times, and the person they "used" to be. You hope they'll change back to how they were at the beginning. Not realising who they "were" is not who they really are.

• Because you lose yourself to the abuse. You forget how to be anything but what the person has made you into.

• It's traumatizing

• Because you believe you deserve better.

• It lowers your self esteem and it's hard to get over it...

• Depends on how long it's been.

• The reason people often cling to people is desperation and/or loneliness. It may be hard to let go of someone regardless of how cruel they treat you.

• Because of ur love

What Guys Said 16

• Because you give them a part of yourself and they have rejected a part of you, so it is harder to get over. If you're open with someone and they put up down, we tend to think we did something, or it was our fault or whatever. The people were most vulnerable with create the biggest wounds or heal us, but we don't know until we put the effort in and they reciprocate or reject us.

• its due to memories. the pain and suffering remains within you and your brain. but don't worry these feelings can be healed with passage of time and when you find right person.
    but you have to try to forget her get rid of the things that belongs to her. keep in mind that others have heart too and don't treat others like she treated you because you know the pain and suffering you felt and definitely you don't want other to have such suffering except her [ in my case not even her]

• Because such people use too much emotion and not enough logic. The emotion side is obvious so I'll just say the logic side, allowing fuckbags you used to date to keep hitting you where it hurts even after it's over will only cage yourself and keep you from getting anywhere

• Because you have integrity and when they treat you like shit you still love me the bigger man because you probably cared and she's treating you like shit but you still cared more than she did obviously so I can say to get over somebody you just got to get under somebody else

• I don't know you at all but it sounds like co-dependency was a theme in that relationship. I am just going by what I went through is very similar to what you are asking. I had a friend point my co-dependency out to me. It gave me something to work on and better myself for my next relationship, cause you never know that might be my soulmate. I would hate to ruin something special over my inadequacies in a relationship.

• IT a trick of the ego to focus on negative events and bad things happening or have happened in the past. It's okay to reflect and learn from a negative experience but to dwell on it is utterly useless. No use in kicking a dead cow.

• Codependency, love addiction, etc. I've been figuring out that these apply to me.

• This can due to the fact that some seem lost as they were controlled for so long while others are lost as they are told that the controller is all the controlled needs in life

• Um post on Craig'slist move on really

• That sounds like a low self-esteem problem to me .

• Because you think they are more than that

• If someone there for you then its easy but alone its very hard

• Because murder is illegal and that can be hard to cope with

• Because you treated them like dimond.

• Cause you're a pussy

• Fuck off you idiot you also treat your mother and sister like this

• I'm too preoccupied with thoughts of taking patches of hair from her skull.