Why would a guy want to stay friends with his ex girlfriend?

evelyn26
Hello, so he ended things over a month ago via text and while he was drunk. Called it a break and then said it was a breakup. He said he needed distance and time to think. He didn't let me ask why or hear me out. We have yet to talk face to face. I am ready to tell him everything. My thoughts/opinions matter too. 2 weeks ago we talked on the phone and ended with I love you from him and I said it back. We did the f buddy think and then friends with benefits (worked well for a year.) Then he said I love you first, asked to see me more, went on trips, talked regularly and asked me to be his girlfriend a year later. I would say together for real for almost a year. Found out he cheated and we talked twice and decided to keep this going but he said it could never be serious (he got mad I found out by going through his phone and said he couldn't trust me.) He has issues;history of many gfs, abandonmen issues, alcoholic, drug addict as well as bipolar. He once said I was his world, that he would give me a ring, thought about babies with me, planned to move in together etc all came from him first. He says he doesn't have real friends just co workers he gets drunk with sometimes.
He texted today saying we are friends but he knows I want a long talk to end that other chapter correctly. He needs to know that this was never a real relationship because he treated me more like a f buddy than anything. If anything, it was an almost relationship.

Why does he want to stay friends?
2
2