Can you be friends after a break up? Why or why not?

• Yes
  • No

1622

Most Helpful Guy

• My ex wife and I are great friends. We're just a terrible couple. We're good business partners too.

Most Helpful Girl

• Eh, depends. I recently went through a breakup and I'm just gonna have to see what happens. I was friends with the guy before we liked each other and I wouldn't mind staying friends with him if we are both over it and can keep our feelings in check.

• Overall, I think friendships are possible after a break-up. It just depends on the people involved and how mature they are.

What Guys Said 21

• It would depend on the break up up but generally speaking, sure..
    I mean, the fact that I've been in a relationship with this person means that I've cared for her.
    Why wouldn't I be friends with someone, I care about?
    Well.. assuming that we broke up in good terms.
    If there was cheating or anything involved, then certainly not.

• No because what is the point of breaking up if you're going to be friends

• It's relative to the circumstances behind the break up. I think that most of the time, no, you cannot just be friends.

• I have NOT been able to be friends with someone that I had a SO relationship. Hurts too much. I am still friends with ladies that I had a non SO relationship with, you know FWB's.

• I'm going to be getting a divorce and we are working through what we can and letting go of the rest so we can be friends and co-parent.

• If it was mutual and both agree to downgrade. It's definitely possible

• It depends, I broke up with my first girlfriend 3 years ago and we only just started talking again. I think it just feels awkward at first, then you just never talk again. :/

• Im friends with my ex but, it gonna get you a ton of troubles with your new gf/bf

• Me personally? No, I can't move on when they're still in my life, so I cut all ties with them after breaking up

• It's possible but not probable

• What's the point? To go shoe-shopping together or what? LOL

• Most definitely, if you both aren't stupid cunts and end on good terms than sure. In some cases however, friendship may not be in the picture.

• you can

• It's really complicated, and cam make moving on rather difficult, but it really depends on the circumstances

• Im friends with my ex because we both just ran into eachother and became friends from there then we started dating and both of us realized we werent the same anymore so we called it quits after a couple months

• The person your with should be your best friend. When a relationship ends, you have to decide to put your differences aside to keep the friendship. But that is difficult, so most people give up on it.

• Depends on the situation

• NOPE.

• It can happen

• It all depends on how hood or bad you ended your relationship.

• Yes... But all depends on how you break up obviously

What Girls Said 15

• no... not at the beginning anyway... u will feel like u want to be friends with them still because u dont want to lose them out of your life completely but it dont work, it prolongs the heartache... i was only able to be friends with my ex once all the feelings had gone, it took over a year... you can't be friends with someone you love its just not possible, not if u want to stay sane anyway. do not put yourself through that pain

• It’s possible, but it’s unlikely to be a healthy friendship. It depends on the emotions involved though.

• I think so. Maybe not immediately but, in Time for sure

• Not right afterwards, but after some time it can work. Does only make sense though if you had similar interests which you can build up a friendship on. If the relationship was only build up on feelings and sexual desires that wouldn't work.

• In my case, no.
    All my exes came back to me but none of them wanted a "real" platonic relationship.
    They either wanted to fuck or they wanted to give the relationship another go.

• I believe in being friend-ly, but not friends. Especially if you have a new relationship.

• No, no point. If we just broke up then being friends is a bit to awkward for me.

• Could depend on a few things such as how long you went out for or th circumstances in which you broke up.

• Yes, it just depends how it ended and you guys as well. I am friends with my ex's so I known how it is kind of since all. people are different

• I do not say it's impossible, but I think it's very difficult to pretend that everything they had did not happen. I feel it would be very uncomfortable.

• im just having the same question, my ex boyfriend and i broke up well actually he made clear he doesn't want to be with me anymore but he said that he still love that much that he wants to be friends and im really confused.

• not if they're douchebags that act innocent when they mentally fucked you up and caused you to go into a deep depression. if they act like they didn't do shit when they know they did and lie about it. then its not a good idea

• No. Once you've been romantic with someone you can't go back to platonic friends. It's incredibly difficult to go back

• It's difficult some times, but not impossible.

• no it is not possible