Have you ever fell out of love with someone who was still in love? How did you deal with it?

I've been in a relationship for about 4 years and literally, 3 of those years were hard. I fell in love very quickly with my boyfriend but soon after things got really sour. He started cheating, he was constantly breaking up with me, and even though I never officially walked away, I was so in Love I tried to make it work even with all the hurt it brought me. After about 3 years, I was put in a bad situation because of him, which changed my life forever. At that point, I realized I was done. For some reason, after that it seemed as if he realized how much he loved me. Because all I ever wanted was him to be in love, I tried to stick it out although in my heart I was done. It has been a year later and I feel like I can’t keep faking it. I keep trying to break up but it’s so hard because I see how hurt he is and I remember how it felt for me. I would never want to bring that same pain to him but at the same time I need for him to understand that our relationship will never work.
I don't know how to get him to understand that I’m done. How can I convince him that it’s for the better without him being angry with me or hating me? How can I break up with him still wanting to be friends?
3
0