Have you ever manged to build up a friendship with an ex partner of yours?

My very first boyfriend is still a very good friend of mine (we broke up about 10 years ago) and I'd like to know how common (or uncommon) this is. ^^

• Yes
    53%(10)44%(23)Vote39%(13)
  • I tried, but it didn't worked out.
    32%(6)27%(14)Vote24%(8)
  • Exes are meant to stay in the past
    15%(3)29%(15)Vote37%(12)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm great friends with few of my exes. Most of my relationships didn't end on a bad note. Things just didn't work out, and they're not automatically horrible people just because there was a breakup.

Most Helpful Girl

• I only have 1 ex so far and we are bestfriends. We were bestfriends before we were dating and upon realising that we're super close, why don't we date? Wrong. Worst decision ever. After a year and a half we broke up and stopped talking to each other for another year and a half. Then we started talking again and eased into bestfriend-ship (is that even a word lol) again.

My current boyfriend accused him to still be not over me but it's his problem not mine cause I see him 100% as a bestfriend.

What Guys Said 16

• Fortunately I have no ex. No girlfriend. No tension. No worries.

Happy Life. 😊

We should develop good relationship with our ex.

• Yes I did.
    Calls me her best friend even tho I don't get this vibe from her currently.
    But usually things are going nicely

• Still going through break up and trying to be a friend with my ex. Its hard on mind. But slowly I am getting used to it. Let's see how this turns out.

• Good luck :) But I guess it'd be easy to not try for a friendship quite after the break but let yourself some time to get over it.

• Tell her that you need some time. If she likes you, she wouldn't want you to suffer.

• I told her. But she is afraid that I might completely leave her. I won't be leaving her but I guess she is just too afraid.

• It is said that if you never truly loved them you can stay friends. But if you are madly in love you can't as the feelings remain and it hurts to see them with other people. But my personal opinion would be that it depends per person. Wanting the best for someone even if it isn't with you is also a form of love.

• I never had a real girlfriend but by choice it's not the opportunity that was missing.

• Never had a girlfriend. :(

• i have only 1 ex. and i never want to do that with her

• Nope.

• Sometimes it just works... but I’ve never had it work for me. All my exes hate me, and I hate them.

• My exes hate me

• U can try see what happens best of luck

• @Belorum It starts building those feelings again as memories are still present

• Not neccesary. didn't happened to me :) And since he even paired me with his best friend about three years ago I'd say that it hasn't happened to him either.

• sometimes we use to*

• Its very rare but possible

• It's very difficult to maintain relationship like that.

• I really do hate you.

• tried, never worked well cuz it kept feeling awkward

What Girls Said 8

• yes me and my ex because friends after about a year of splitting up, i couldnt be friends with him till the feelings had gone, its too hard otherwise. but once i was over him it was easy. ex's was once a big part of ur life so why not stay friends if there's no bad feelings between you both. im not friends with him no more though as i met someone and i know i wouldn't like it if my boyfriend was still in contact with his ex so i knew i had to cut contact, the friendship with my ex isn't worth my new relationship.

• I'm not sure if it's common but I am either friendly or actual friends with almost all of my exes - even my ex husband.

• Yes I have. We aren't best friends by any means but we do catch up with each other from time to time.

• Im going to try but the breakup happened a month ago so gonna give it time. It has per his request. Went out 2 years and he texted to break and then breakup. We will see how it goes. How often should we talk? not sure

• I have tried being friends with my most current ex and it's just too hard. I freak the f*ck out when he even flirts with a girl slightly. Just talking to him on a daily basis as if nothing ever happened just kills me. I'm not sure if it's because this recently happened or what, but it's too hard. I stopped talking to him a few days ago due to how hard it is for me. I don't think he really minds because he treats me like I'm nothing to him anyway.

• It's quite impossible if the break-up is fresh. For me and my ex it took about 2 years till we talked again

• I guess that's true. My last ex and I can talk with no problem, it's been over two years since everything has happened. With my new ex I can't even talk to him.

• I never fall for this trap. It never works.

• No it didn't happen

• No never. Exes are exes for a reason