Do you still talk to your ex sometimes? Is it ever a good idea?

People always say to block or remove all exes from social media, but I'm finding it quite difficult to just cut off contact completely. We didn't have a nasty breakup or anything, and I don't want him out of my life completely.

Do you still talk to your ex, and is it a good or bad thing?

718

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the break up.
    But in general, if you find it absolutely necessary to block someone from your life that you once cared about, it says that you are an immature child.
    I still talk to my ex. We get along. Obviously it's still a bit weird. But I'm an adult and I can live with that

Most Helpful Girl

• I blocked my ex for a few days after our break up, but then I unblocked him. A few weeks later we messaged each other and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think it's nice that we can still talk to each other without it being too awkward.

What Guys Said 17

• I don't think it's necessary to cut off contact. Especially if you were friends before and you're both mature enough to avoid drama.

• In my case i still use to message her , wish her birthday , sometime just chat.. but i would surely leave doing this as soon as i get in a relationship. she always knew how much I loved , cared for her but yet she chose to leave me that is totally other case.
    now it is about since 4 years she is married , she sometimes messages me and sometimes i do i know that she never read jokes but i still use to send her random messages on whatsapp on almost daily basis. i think only because of this i am not able to move on. or accept others proposal.
    what i want to say that is you should not message him and he should also shouldn't message you. if you both were completely involved it would be hard for both of you to move on and I personally never want that my wife or girlfriend ever message to her ex neither do i will do the same.

• I'm still in contact with most of my ex's (the ones I had a good break up with) and I don't regret it. They're part of your life, of your experiences so I think it's good to have a good relationship with them

• Only when she puts a gun to my head, lol. J/K, we have a daughter together and she's in NY while I'm in California. I haven't a clue where the ex is going, living or anything.

• nope. i dont water dead plants

• As long as neither of you are seeing someone. It's fine. If one of you is... Stop.

• I talk to one of my exes about once a month, and another one I'll tolerate when I bump into her at social events. As a rule though talking to exes is usually a bad thing.

• Nope I don't. But in my situation it was a toxic relationship that I really needed to cut off completely. Talking to your ex may be alright but just keep in mind that your new SO may not like it

• For me is a really bad idea I've always interrupted any communication with my ex girls and this is the only way to avoid stupid risks to fall in (fake) love again

• Never talk to any of them. Bad juju.

• Add to the FAQ

• Yes, i think that its about maturity too. You two were more than friends before, but that doesn't mean you should call it quits on carrying on with friendship.

• i only do if the relationship ended a long time ago and that there wasn't really a relationship

• move on

• yeah just stay friends maybe or don't, could just loose contact and stay neutral

• For a month i talked... but later i moved on

• Yes. I do still talk

What Girls Said 6

• Me and my ex are still friends, its really awkward tho cuz there's no mystery left with us because we got to know so much of each other but everyone should still remain friends even of it was a nasty breakup

• So you wouldn't say he's keeping you back from moving on? :)

I agree with you though

• No lol i invited him to my wedding i just thought we were better friends when we were 15

• No i don’t talk to any of my exes.

• I think it depends on the two of you. I stopped talking with him for about a year just so I can move on and find what makes me happy again. Now, we're still close - we were best friends before. However, if you feel that you still wish things were as they were before, then I say keep your distance because it was over for a reason.

• No I don't but I don't think it's a bad thing

• I never talk to him.

• Never. I don't talk to any of my exes