How long does it take you to get over a break up?

I know it differs from person to person but I want to see the average.

I never been in a real relationship so I don’t know what it feels like to break up with someone you had feelings for or how long it takes to get over it.

I just know what it’s like to get used and that’s not a good feeling either.

517

Most Helpful Guy

• It took me about a year. For me it was like kicking the habbit and realizing that the relationship wasn't that great anyway. It's almost you HAVE to realize it wasn't great.

Say the Doctor says they would have to remove your eye because of a disease. You feel fine though and you dont wanna lose your eye. You start thinking of all the potential situations you are giving up with this situation. No 3D movies or depth in general. What if the other eye also gives out. Will you be blind? isn't there a way to remedy this?
    The doctor insists. The eye will kill you if you leave it. You have no choice. This is even beyond your choice. You are forced to give in, into this ridiculous situation. Why the eye? Is the doctor even being for real? There was still so much you wanted to have it for...

This is a weird analogy but its kinda how it feels only stretched a bit over time. Also note that this analogy does not convey the feeling of a breakup due to cheating. That's more like when the doctor gives your eye to someone else and you keep asking "Why him/ her but not me?"

Its more a big dissappointment of the fading of what couldve been and the feeling of the world being against you.

Most Helpful Girl

• My first relationship took me a year to get over. My second relationship took me 3 months to get over. Funny thing is my first relationship was only 3 months but took the longest to get over. My first relationship was a year and only took 3 months to get over. It really does all depend.

What Guys Said 16

• It doesn't so much depend on the person as it does the circumstances of the break up. I can only imagine if the break up occurred due to infidelity, that would be hard because the trust was broken. With my ex wife, we just stopped caring but two days after we split she was in my hangout with this clown who I knew. I was more amused he fell for that than upset with him. He was so scared and apologetic that I had to tell him to keep quiet for a minute and I told her I thought we were going to stay amicable during our divorce. She said she never agreed to that... so to your Q. How long? 48 hours, lmao. Others maybe weeks, it's up to the circumstances surrounding break up.

• It depends on how long you two have been together, how intense it was, and also on you, if you move on easily or not. Some people tend to isolate themselves from the world which is hard.

• Like 30 Seconds, I'm an ♒ Aquarius were known for it 🤣

• Uh oh, I hope the motivating factor for this question wasn't that the dude we were talking about yesterday broke up with you already! xD

Lol, did you message him yet?

• Snap of the fingers. But that comes with repeated pain. I've had constant betrayal throughout my short years. But I've learned to expect nothing and not get attached.

• Hopefully sooner rather than later, don't worry about it

• 2-3 month for the first crucial pain..

• it can take months for some people. They need the time to move on.

• too long

• I've been broken up with a ton. Initially it took me about six months, now it takes me a week or so.

• Depending on how sour you are, it might take minutes or the rest of your life. Did they ghost you after your friend died? Did they break up with you on the anniversary of your mom dying? Really though.. how sour are you?

• Like half an hour

• It depends.. with how many u fuck around to forget the person... more the fuck ups less the time to forget and vice versa

• Been 7 years and I still haven't forgot I still cry not even an hour ago I cried like baby just typing now makes me tear up

• Instant, never invested any emotions.

• No i dea i never have a relationship but if i would have it will never breakup

What Girls Said 4

• Maybe... 1 month at most.
    I lost my best friend, and I was quite upset. It was around a year ago. Now I barely remember them.

• About three weeks. And yes, I've been used too, and it feels shitty.

• Depends on how much i cared for the person.
    it took me about 4 years to get over my first ever boyfriend.

• a few years