Why would new ex say 'promise me we'll stay friends?' And keep me on facebook?

715

What Guys Said 15

• Maybe because he wants to stay friends? Sometimes people are better as friends than together. Not hard to deduce.

• You sound 100% confident there's no ulterior motive. Hmmm I wonder though. Not sure I trust this guy anymore.

• No, but I'm not going to just assume there is one when there might not be.
      Why don't you ask him what it means before you decide for him and make rash decisions? Talk to him, then make your decision. Not every guy has an ulterior motive when they say things.

• I know not every guy does but I just don't have a good vibe from him anymore so I feel it's pointless even asking really, I'll probably just cut contact to be honest and focus on the new guy in my life. (ex would probably only make snide remarks about him anyway so he doesn't need to know).

• Cuz he's desperate. A losing proposition.

• Insecurity, it's best to cut ties always

• Insecurity? Yeah I agree, cut all ties is best.

• Cut off completely.

• Definitely

• He wants you as a standby

• They are not over you

• He's the one that broke it off so I'm thinking he's trying to keep the door open for sex... which just won't happen in this case.

• dudes are stupid, i have know a guy or two who broke up with a girl because he was getting to serious, but then regretted it.. took them a while to get over their mistake.

• Oh I see!

• Yah thats a bit weird

• To keep you on the back burner for later. Rainy day boots calls.

• Back up sex if needed.

• Maybe wants to show someone that you are still into him

• Hell naw

• He just want to be nosey and to monitor who you talking to and what you doing and what you doing

• Yeah kinda what I though too. Not too sure what the point to that would be though?

• Well if you ain't sure then don't do it but you always supposed to give him my f****** Fighting Chance you know I'm saying let him hang himself then he'll know why you don't f*** with him

• I think I've already been too nice to him tbh.

• Because he likes you and super hurt you broke it off with him. Duh.

• He broke it off with me.

• Yeah that's what I thought in this case, hence my decision to cut contact.

• Good for you. Block him completely. Move on. Find someone who is worthy of you.

• It's just a thing be practical move on

• He hasn't given up on you yet

• Just being nice. Really he doesn’t give a shit

What Girls Said 7

• Technically the guys are right you are there for back up but it's also to keep tabs on you.. competition time- who moves on the quickest.. if your new boyfriend is better looking blah blah.. all fucking stupid games.. if you broke up.. break up properly! no social media nothing.. if he dumped you get shot of him and pronto

• Yep new guy is better in so many ways, ex has already made a couple of digs. No chance of being a back up.

• Because they don't want to seem like the bad person, most likely.

• Maybe he wants to keep you in his life.

• Because he wants to have you around in his life. Even if there is no future for the relationship, he does want to have you as his friend.

• He doesn’t want there to be awkwardness for the rest of your lives. Who broke up with who? Why?

• He says he has no different intention

• Don’t be a “back burner bitch”. That’s what you are if you keep him as a “friend”.