Is friendship possible after a relationship?

I could use some stories if you have
Have you ever become friends with your ex? Actually do you recommend something like this at all?

What Girls Said 5

• yes you can become friends with an ex when you are totally over them and so are they to you. they are not enemies. just strangers with memories.

• Well said. Spot on.

• what do you plan to do it?

• Depends on why you two broke up, but usually no. One tends to have feelings even after you've broke up. Moreover, it's not ethical if you think for your current/future partner. But anyway, if you ask yourself, would I be just fine if my girlfriend is a friend with her ex and the answers is yes, then you shouldn't be worried.

• It really depends on the situation. My ex and I are friends and we broke up just over a month ago and it has been difficult at times. It depends how hurt you are, maybe suggest cutting contact for a while?

• It usually depend on how bad the breakup is.

• A friend of mine used to tell me that having an ex as a friend was like having a chicken as pet, sooner or later you will end eating it so yeah, I think that is not healthy. You can break up in good terms but be friends, not possible.

What Guys Said 23

• Possible yes, but incredibly difficult.
    The feelings involved, the history lived, just imagine knowing you used to love, hold, kiss that person and now there will be another person who takes that place.

I don't recommend being friends past the, having eachother on Facebook, sending happy birthday once a year and that's about all the contact there is

• Almost always, one of the two partners will be holding on to the hope that the two will reunite. When that doesn't happen and the other starts dating, problems with anger and jealousy will arise. It is rarely a good idea to try to remain friends.

• I am woried, that this will be the case for her, I think she will have hope and that eventually will forbid me and here from being in a new relationship no?

• My boyfriend of 7 months was with a girl about 2 years ago and they were only together for 2 months. She ended it and they have managed to stay friends. He was going through a hard time in his personal life at the time and even after the relationship ended she supported him with his issue as a friend. I guess that's why they have stayed friends. At first I was a little uncomfortable about it but it really is a platonic friendship. He has shown me the messages they have sent to each other as they do keep in touch and send each other the occasional text. They don't ever meet up physically though. Some of the messages show him asking her if she would like to meet me etc so I know there is nothing shady going on. She is also on his Facebook and every time he posts a picture of us up together she always gives it a thumbs up. She seems really happy for him that he has found me. I'm not worried about their friendship at all, not anymore. I haven't met her yet however.

• @Lou1973

1. Nor every girlfriend is as understanding as you appear to be.

2. Not every ex-girlfriend is content to forever remain an ex-girlfriend.

It sounds like you have the perfect combination of events to make this happen.

• I recommend establishing some boundaries, that's for sure.

It depends on what they're like, what you're like, and how things ended. You can't always be friends.

• Unlikely, as there's always a person interested in coming back. And staying as friends make them to suffer.

• I am good friends with all my ex's. Main reason I was able to maintain the friendship is that friendship was the bedrock of the relationship. We decided in the beginning that if anything went wrong, we would still respect the other.

• My ex is my best friend. We were friends for years before we dated, which probably made it easier to go back to that. I don't know what I would have done if we'd had to cut contact after breaking up.

• That is almost my case, how is it going now could you please tell some details

• Sure. Everything is back to how it was before we dated. Well, almost. We used to cuddle while watching movies and stuff before. Since we broke up we don't do that anymore. I don't know if she still would or wants to, but I don't want to make her uncomfortable or give her the wrong idea, so I don't ask. But everything else is the same. We text almost daily, we give each other advice and talk about everything. She even tells me about the dates she goes on.
      For maybe a month after we split it was a little weird. I think we were both feeling it out and reestablishing boundaries. But once that was over, it was almost like we'd never dated.
      Is there anything specific you wanted to know that I missed?

• In my experience it has not worked out. I've tried it with every relationship and every time I just want the girl back even more, since I'm not giving myself time to heal emotionally.

• Not recommended - in my opinion.
    It’s not impossible to remain friends, but you could face constant emotional issues (your emotions or her’s).
    Sometimes it’s better to move on and just remain acquaintances.

• And what is the point of this 'friendship' anyway? Are gonna now go shoe-shopping with her? LOL

• Nah thats not possible all the time.

• That's like your dog dying and you keeping the corpse because it made you happy!!! If they're your ex it's for a reason...

• Depends on how did the relationship end. If it was not a bitter ending then yes you can be friends after having a relationship

• Add to the FAQ

• Depends how the breakup was. I talk to a few of my ex's from time to time. Others i dont. Its up to your judgment and if you feel comfortable or not

• yes why not?

• No chance... You may end up being in relationship with that same person again

• It's very difficult to have friendship with ur ex. until you stop seeing him/ her as ur lover

• Yes possible it depends on person to person

• Absolutely not

• Yeah all relationship before its thé friendShip

• Ofcourse. 100% all my ex r my friends till now. Lol. But not instantly after break up. XD.

• My friends aren't friends with any of their ex's. Why should they be?

• Yes but it can be very hard especially when she starts having sex with someone else