Is being friends with your ex good?

Just curious as to what people think...

522

What Guys Said 22

• It's a lot better than being enemies like some couples become. I'd rather date someone who is still friends with their ex, than someone who went through a bitter breakup. There are two reasons for that. First, it says something about them if they can break up cordially. Second, bitter breakups tend to spill over into the next relationship. I prefer someone without that kind of baggage.

• It depends. If I was in love with the woman and the relationship ended, I could never be friends afterwards. It if we're just a fling, and I wasn't in love, I could absolutely remain friends no problem.

• And is it bad to still be in love and be friends?

• Trust your instincts. They're usually right. Only Time will allow you to eventually escape those feelings of dependency. Give it time... you'll soon realize you don't need him, and won't want him.

• But you have to cut off all contact

• It can be an uneasy friendship, if you know each other's 'dirty little secrets.

• Nope, it's like dragging around a dead horse.

I love how people always think this is a good idea, but it never turns out that way.

By the way, what's the next person your with going to think about it?

• I like your comparison to a horse..
      Yeah I guess its not a good idea..
      And if you don't get together with anyone?

• Thanks.. I guess it is self pity..

• It's normal. Cheer up and move on - i think if you stay friends with your ex it just sort of prolongs the negative feelings.

• I think it all depends on the people really. The only issue i could see arising is when you start to date someone knew and they find out you used to be involved with one of your friends

• And that's where the friendship ends?

• Not neccessarily. Some people dont mind their significant others being friends with an ex. Others dont. Thats something you and your significant other would have to discuss

• If you didn't have a bad closure. And the breakup is mutual then. Just don't have physical contact. But never tell your the current lover that she is your ex. Coz it may stir up things. And the current one may think you are a player.

• In my experience, no. I've tried to keep things amicable. We just usually drift apart and stop talking.

• It could mean you might want to get back with him sometime if the feelings mutual and give it a shot bit if you can be respectful then its ok

• Can be also can not be

• It can be good if you've both moved on and the breakup was mutual.

• Well, it really depends on the person. If they negatively affect you, then probably not. If they positively affect you, then it depends on whether or not you are okay with talking to them. I am still friends with most of my exs because we understand that a relationship with another shouldn't affect our friendship.

• At most girls's situation no not good

• NOOOO !!!

• Depends how u guys broke up. If it's something u two can solve, might be able to become friends. But if it is a bad break up. I would stay away.

• I mean all. My exes don't leave me alone. Every few months they pop up and tell. Me how they have been like I care I'm friendly but not friends.. When I think of taking someone to the movies on a platonic basis none of my exs names come to mind

• Yes, most won't but if your friendship came before the sex, there is good possibility it can continue, after hurt feelings subside.

• Depends how things left off and if you think you could have a lasting friendship with them without getting back together... unless you that's what you want to do

• Honestly no. Unless you have a child with this EX or a long past then you should not try and make a friendship work. Plus if you got into relationship with another female or male it would make it awkward and it may cause an argument

• Ex or not doesn't matter since i believe we must be kind toward anyone

• I think that once you end a relationship you should not be in contact with them for a while

• YES, friends with benefits

• Yes it's good as long as it doesn't get awkward over time

What Girls Said 5

• If you can do it, that's more than fine.
    A lot of people can't do it so that's why it's uncommon to hear about

• From my experience it is, at least if you used to be friends before and there is something to build this friendship on.
    But it wouldn't work right away after breakup for sure.

• If it works for you guys, and it's no weird for either of you, I don't see what the issue would be. You guys have a past, so it's nice that you guys get along enough to continue to make memories and share old ones without any heartache.

• Depends... if it's an ugly closure, then no.

• Not good