Are you friends with your ex? What's best?

I was good friends with my ex before we liked each other. We immediately bonded because we had a lot in common and had mutual friends. Now that he's my ex, it feels strange to be friends with him again. Since I have a big group project with him, I have to force myself to communicate with him firmly. It all sucks ass and there's nothing I can do about it. He's very unemotional and it's like he doesn't have any--I wouldn't say "remorse"-- but conscientiousness and respect. He's totally slacking off and the very least he could do is look me in the eye when we're all collaborating. I wouldn't mind being friends with him after we both cool off and get over everything but I honestly have no idea if it's possible. Do you have any experience with this?

• Yes, I don't mind it as long as we don't get too friendly
    29%(4)29%(16)Vote29%(12)
  • NO WAY
    29%(4)36%(20)Vote38%(16)
  • Other
    42%(6)35%(20)Vote33%(14)

Most Helpful Guy

• I never understood the idea of being friends with an ex after you two have broken up, just feels weird and unnatural to me no matter how cordial it may seem. No, I’ve never remained in contact with my previous relationships because what’s done is done. We didn’t have anything really in common and we ultimately knew that. We were kind to one another but I don’t see why we would still keep in contact.

Most Helpful Girl

• I tried being friend with an ex cause we were in the same program in uni and we would often take the bus together to go home since we lived close.. And well it was awkward for me at times even though he treated me like we were friends. We would text each other from time to time too.

But after the school year ended, I just stopped talking to him. It is way too hard being friends with an ex. I still have him on my social media and phone but just don't text him.

What Guys Said 22

• Hum...
    We're friendly, me and her, my latest, in the sense that there's no hard feelings.
    I think she was relieved to know that I didn't have any of those for her breaking up with me.
    That said, it was kind of tough for me so we ended up not really communicating much afterwards.
    We're on each other's social networks.
    I occasionally *like* a new picture of her or a positive status.
    But other than that we haven't talked for a couple of years now...
    If she ever need help I'll try to be there for her and so will she for me.
    But we're honestly more at the acquaintances stage I'd say now...
    And I wish her the best.

You might not know what's going through his mind right now.
    Work with him now but try to keep things professional.
    Without the "stern voice" if possible.
    Just try to think of him as an acquaintance I guess instead of an ex for the sake of this thing then take some time off afterwards to figure out your own feelings if possible.
    Ass long as there's no hard feelings you two can always pick things up again a bit later.

• I remain cordial with my ex wife because of our daughter. Other then that... hatred. That's all that's left and I know what you mean.. it sucks! Before we were married we went everywhere together, did everything together and were the best of friends. Sorry you're going through it.

• Yeah. We still have something going on, or I am still having something going on for her... We don't see each other like before however due to the nature of our relationship we couldn't go further and I sense that she still wants to give it another try.

I doubt she has me in FB for nothing, she isn't the type that will keep her ex near knowing that there is nothing to do about it.

• I've had this go both ways with an ex. One was my best friend for a long time before we confused our feelings for eachother. We are currently friends and it seems like we are rebuilding our friendship and accepting what happened for what it is. Depends on the person though.

• It depends on which terms you ended your relationship. I ended mine on a nasty note, she started hooking up on tinder and with my friends and eventually one of her dates uploaded her sextape. Then I tried to contact as many as I could find on social media, and 2 of them also had some videos so we all uploaded revenge PORN. So no way of talking with her ever again.

• Stop making bad polls, please.

• Nah, I don't think so.

At least not for me. I try to avoid awkward situations, and being friends with an ex sounds like it would be hella awkward.

• Just advice, do not let your emotion consumes you, remember you have big project with him, just focus on that thing

• I'm good friends with my first girlfriend. we are still very good, even she has a kid now. Still talk once a while.

• Option a says it all

• No, I don't talk to my ex girlfriends

• No i cut all ties to them, delete contact info photos and throw whatever they gave me out

• I don't have an ex.

• The friendship just won't be the same after these kinds of feelings are involved. So don't try or hope for that. I am friendly and on talking terms with my ex, but not that I'm trying or hoping for the friendship to come back. That's it.

• i would rather not to be a just friend of my ex, i mean when its allready ends then why should we starts it again, so i dont talk with my ex.

• I used to, but only until she abused my trust.

• No she cheated on me with my best friend. So not friends with either of them.

• have stayed friends with a few for a while

• No ex's

• Stay friends while being in relationship with a badass guy😂

• I prefer just to let things be and move on in my life.

• I'm good friends with my family and everyone I met

What Girls Said 5

• No. I moved on long ago. I have no need/reason to stay in contact with my ex. I prefer to move forward in my life. Not hold onto things behind me

• no i am not. two past lovers can't be friends.

• He was never my boyfriend , we both knew we like each other (maybe not very much) , bt now also we can talk to each other like friend. (when we talk , he knows what i felt for him)

• I'm friends with my ex. We'll never date again because he annoys tfout of me.

• i was friends with my ex at one stage, it was terrible