Forgiving Your Ex-Boyfriend?

Do you think I did the right thing? My ex broke up with me about a month a go, reasons being that I do not like his disrespectful friends and he wanted to date a woman who can get along with them. I was very angry and hurt, now looking back on it I'm regretting ever falling apart in pieces when he told me he wanted to break up. The thing is I'm beginning to enjoy life as a single woman and I'm meeting a lot of people who keep complimenting me. I felt very unattractive after the break up and now I don't feel angry anymore, I just feel sorry for my ex because I know he's lost a really good woman. So I sent a text simply saying to him "I forgive you" I did not receive a reply buy I just wanted him to know he's forgiven and now I'm over him and really moved on. Do you think I did the right thing?

33

Most Helpful Guy

• Ouch! The other guy is a little harsh. But good for you that your enjoying the single life. Keep moving forward, your gonna be meeting TONS of guys. Now I have to say, I don't think it was a smart move to text him for anything in the first place. Simply because since he broke up with you, what's the point in talking to someone who doesn't want to talk to you? There isn't any. The other guy is correct when he said 'he feels sorry for you that you feel the need to let him KNOW that your over him'. You gave your ex boyfriend power over you. You don't want to do that.

If you want to make it known that your ex made a mistake...SHOW him that your happy WITHOUT him. Even if you have to fake it, with him seeing that your living it up and your really happy in life...that will EAT HIM UP! I would stay away from your ex. If he wants to talk to you, let HIM text/call/email you first. If he moved on with no problem then you should do the same. If his heart ain't broken...then why should you be in pieces? You made a tiny mistake but you can make up for it by just being happy! Remember, the person who does the breaking up...ALWAYS comes back! Take care!

• You know what, being a religious person and all I was thinking that it was the right thing to do. Forgiving after all is renouncing your anger and I wanted to let him know. In my mind he did do something wrong which was hurting me and it was for all the wrong reasons. I really do not want to go into details. I think a man should be able to think for himself don't you? Not do something on a whim because he wants to be accepted.

What Guys Said 2

• did the right thing by saying I forgive you? no . he wanted to beak up with you and he did. He also did nothing wrong, you weren't his girl, and you should respect that. You saying I forgive you, is sending him the message that, he deserves your forgiveness, or that you feel he did something wrong. You forgive him for throwing away a really good women and now you just feel sorry for him? what. He feels sorry for you that you feel the need to let him KNOW that your over him. If you were really over him you wouldn't be posting this. tomorrow morning you are not going to think the same thoughts, you are still on the ups and downs following the break up. At that moment, with some confidence back, you fell sorry for him, relax and wait this one out and for Christs sake do not send him anymore messages that are so condescending, next time if you feel the need ask him how his day was.

• You're right I am regretting the text. But after he tried getting into contact with me when he broke up with me to see how I was holding up, I too angry and hurt to talk to him. He apologized and said that he didn't mean to hurt me. This was by text anyways. No I'm not going to text him anymore.

• You're very condescending. God forbid that a guy wants a woman who can accept his friends.

• What you do not understand is that his friends are very disrespectful towards him, not me. They treat him like an outsider and evertime he would be complaining about it, yet he's around because he wantsw to be accepted so badly by them. So I did nothing wrong honey. I try to stay away from negativity.

• I see. That is more acceptable, but the "I forgive you" still strikes a chord with me as unnecessary.

Furthermore, the bonds between him and his friends, is a bond between him and his friends. You can tell him your opinion, but don't force him to do anything. What you perceive as right does not necessarily translate to the other person. You may have done "nothing wrong" but he obviously broke up with you for a reason.

What Girls Said 3

• The thing about forgiving someone is you don't do it for them, you do it for yourself. It is accepting a situation you don't have control over and moving forward. It doesn't mean you are telling the person who hurt you what they did is okay because it is never okay. But you accept what happened and try to learn and grow from your experiences. Your ex doesn't need you to forgive them to move on, and sometimes they don't even care-it's their conscience so let them think what they are going to regardless. I don't think there was any harm in telling him though-if it helped you feel better than good for you for taking the initiative and doing what was right by yourself!

• Umm no. I don't think you are doing the right thing. Why do you have to text him to let him know you moved on. LOL...People don't text people after a month and say hey "I forgive you" UGH?

Get real? He probably laughing at you now. I am sorry to be so harsh because its not worth it. That stuff comes natural.

• I did not tell him that I've moved on I simply said I forgive you. Read comment I left after yours

I kind of regret txting him I must admit> he did reply by saying there is no need to forgive him. I do not understand what that means though. I'm not experienced in relatioships.

• I know you don't say that...but your whole paragraph is talking about how you moved on. How you are so happy. You want a reaction out of this guy plain and simple.

• I think for yourself you did the right thing, but I doubt it meant anything to him. I would have let him go and not said a word. Sometimes people don't know something good when its right under their noses and don't realize what they had till its gone. So don't contact him, just get on with your life.

• I know some of the answers have been harsh but they are being honest. I'm a religious person and just having him know that I forgive him makes me feel better. Can you imagine on the day your boyfriend dumps you he call you to see if you've thrown yourself over the balcony for him because you're so heart-broken? What a**hole he was for doing that and he did call himself an a**hole so I forgive the a**hole!