Would you date someone if you knew they were leaving the country in the next 9 months?

There's a guy I like and he wants to proceed to a relationship with me, but recently revealed that he has a plan to get a one way ticket to Europe by May 1st and move there. I know a lot of people say they want to move there and it never actually happens. It's just a dream. I told him to me it's a waste of time knowing the relationship would end in x amount of time. He also admitted that he's not getting married again, so any relationship he enters will end.. it's inevitable. The time just isn't predetermined. I told him saying that his relationships are short lived is sabotaging himself .And I would just end up being hurt and heartbroken knowing it would end eventually, regardless of how good the relationship was. I told him it was unfortunate he feels the way he does. After him knowing that, he asked where we proceed from here. I told him I didn't know and that it's not something to be discussed via text. He texts me back and says, "So.. tomorrow then?" (We already had plans to hang out prior) It almost sounds like he might be re-considering going and/or thinking about what I said. I can't imagine he'd drive 30 minutes to talk about just being friends. That's something that could easily be said over text.

11

What Guys Said 1

• i wouldn't do it again

What Girls Said 1

• Hmmmm...I'm in a very similar situation except my 'guy' is moving in about four months. I went out with him for two months and I've fallen for him. He broke up with me saying that we should just be friends right now because he's leaving for two years to go to school. I guess the real question is what are you willing to sacrifice when he is going to leave? Say you spend as much time with him as possible before he moves to Europe and you guys start a relationship. And then he has to leave which is/will be very heartbreaking. Are you willing to go through that? The other option is if you became friends with each other right now without starting a relationship. It'll still be heartbreaking when he leaves, but less so (I believe) because you're not investing your entire heart to him. If you guys become friends right now and then he leaves you'll have that friendship as a good foundation for maybe a future relationship with him or maybe with someone else. Nothing in life is ever guaranteed. If it's meant to be with this guy, it'll find a way somehow. You can never predict the future. Only time will tell. I think it's good for you guys to talk face-to-face about your situation because it will help sort things out and each of you can discuss what you guys think you guys should do. He may still have the same opinion or he might not...who knows? Well best of luck to you...