He asked for a break, trying to understand his reasoning?

Hi there,
My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 and a half years, he’s 24 and I’m 23. Everything has been going well, no arguments, fights etc. All of a sudden out of the blue he asks for a break - his reasoning was that the thought of the future of marriage/kids to him is a tough commitment that he can’t handle thinking about that. He also mentioned that he was just stressed and overwhelmed of the responsibilities of a relationships, and needs time to recollect his mind. The idea about a constant continuous commitment plays a huge factor as well. He just feels that he gets this feeling every so often, and needs a break to really get himself back on track. Two years ago we also encountered this as well, but after a month he came back saying he missed me, etc.
I just don’t know what to think about it, after some time again if we do get back together what if he does the same thing, is it worth it? because I really really do love him - I can’t see myself being with anyone else. He told me he still loves me, but then the idea of him wanting to experience with other girls now still lingers in my mind.
Any opinions or ideas will be appreciated, thank you!

03

What Guys Said 3

• If he just needs a break let him have a break but if you feel he wants a break to have fun with other women might not pursue him but depends on if you wanna allow the time for him to realize tho hypothetical girls aren't as good as you

• I agree it is much harder to find a girl that is just as good as a girl you have been committed to for that long

• I think if you're truly worried you should ask him in person, and let him know he can be honest and still be friends no matter what the case or reasoning is.. That's the best way I can think of remaining close with the truth

• Think it always hard in a situation like this nobody ever wants to get hurt and unfortunately we give a lot of power to the people we love to do just that. My personal opinion is that taking a break in any relationship is stupid to ask, you either fight for the relationship till you absolutely cannot anymore or you are honest about what is going on and why it would not work and you break up.

• It is most probably to experience with other girls. Think he might think he is missing out in life. But would most probably come back if he doesn't get someone else actually know a girl that went through the same thing.

• He def met someone else or likes and is attracted to another girl he doesn't want to cheat cause he knows how you feel about him.

What Girls Said 0