He asked for a break, trying to understand his reasoning?

Hi there,
My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 and a half years, he’s 24 and I’m 23. Everything has been going well, no arguments, fights etc. All of a sudden out of the blue he asks for a break - his reasoning was that the thought of the future of marriage/kids to him is a tough commitment that he can’t handle thinking about that. He also mentioned that he was just stressed and overwhelmed of the responsibilities of a relationships, and needs time to recollect his mind. The idea about a constant continuous commitment plays a huge factor as well. He just feels that he gets this feeling every so often, and needs a break to really get himself back on track. Two years ago we also encountered this as well, but after a month he came back saying he missed me, etc.
I just don’t know what to think about it, after some time again if we do get back together what if he does the same thing, is it worth it? because I really really do love him - I can’t see myself being with anyone else. He told me he still loves me, but then the idea of him wanting to experience with other girls now still lingers in my mind.
Any opinions or ideas will be appreciated, thank you!
3
0