How do divorces work?

My husband is very emotionally abusive and it's affecting our kids now. It's really bad. We haven't been a "couple" for a year now. He says he won't leave me. I don't work as I just take care of the kids. I don't know what to do. How can I leave him? If I move out and try to divorce him will he get the kids and everything else since I left first? My friend says I shouldn't leave otherwise he will get everything, but he will never leave me. My kids should not be exposed to this. I can't live like this anymore. I don't know how to get a lawyer or anything since he has control of the money and only gives me an allowance for the house and kids.

11

What Guys Said 1

• You should really consult a lawyer. I'd assume the courts would favor him because he works and wanted to maintain the marriage, but I don't know

• how can I get a lawyer in my situation? I take care of house, kids, cook, and he has all the power to do whatever he wants, he will never leave me but he is cruel to me. He says he will take the kids. I can't get a job to pay for lawyer because I have to watch the kids and he will be mad, but then he will not give me money to get a lawyer.

• There are shelters in most major cities who help battered women with this kind of thing. Look in to it

What Girls Said 1

• A lawyer will show you the ropes... get a good one. Ask around and get one experienced in family law. Not cheap but in the long run worth it. Oh and always put the kids first.

• There are shelters and counseling that can assist you. But a lawyer will be essential at some point. If he is abusive you need for the good of your kids ad your self to deal with this.