How do I regain my self confidence as a man after being cheated on?

I was in a relationship with a girl for three years while I was 21-23 age wise. I was very close to her and trusted her completely. Near the end of our relationship I noticed that she would flirt with an acquaintance of one of my friends. It use to bother me and at first I just put my trust in my girlfriend at the time. It kept going on though every time my girlfriend would be around this guy. Literally my girlfriend would be talking to this guy the whole night and they would be touchy with one an other. He even kissed her on the hands and cheek and she loved it.

I eventually was honest with her and told her how much it bothered me. She assured me nothing was going on. I told her that this behavior was unacceptable and was pretty close to confronting the guy until she stopped me. We even got into an argument later in which she compared me to this guy and told me he was better than me. I eventually lost trust in her and our relationship ended 2 months later. I then find out a few months later from my ex's friend that she ended up hooking up with the guy after we broke up. Possibly even while I was with her.

I was so heartbroken. I just couldn't believe this was happening to me. I cut all ties with this woman on my phone and chat after finding that out. She still doesn't know that I found this out. I also felt like there was no point since the relationship was over with. I ended up becoming extremely depressed and saw a therapist. I have talked about what I have gone through. It was a very dark time in my life since I also transferred to a new college and had some deaths in my family as well. I have now worked on myself for the past 2 years joining clubs, making new friends, and have even got into weight lifting. I am in the best shape in my life and yet I haven't met anyone else. To be honest I am now afraid of putting myself out there with women and feel like I will never meet anyone. I have tried but have had this paralyzing fear and anxiety. What should I do?

52107

Most Helpful Girl

• Poor guy, she sounds awful. I mean you are getting therapy to work through your problems so good for you. I think you need to take some more time I think.
    It always helps to change yourself and become a new person. So if you have short hair, grow your hair out and get a new look? Try for some new clothes? Go for a new hobby? See new places? It helps because it feels like the disaster happened to the “old” you. The “new” You is cool and collected. You bounced back from the evil ex and you want to look GOOD doing it.
    Some people find getting casual sex from women increased their confidence. It can help but don’t rely on the company of women to make you whole. Realize they’re just cheap sex and work on yourself first. Hit on women, get confident and use this to push you to someone way better. Better is out there trust me

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thank you for your thoughtful comment. You are awesome. It really means a lot. Thankfully I have been creating a new me. I have been working on myself which I will keep doing. I have graduated college, made new friends, got a new hair cut, and went from being a very skinny physique to a more muscular one. I think you are right that no person can make your life whole. I feel like I am still learning that and have really put in effort in my own life. I will work on approaching women more. I have gone on a few dates which is nice mostly by women that have given me strong signals. I just feel like I haven"t met someone that I have really clicked with. I will take your advice and keep believing in myself.

• It takes a while man. I’m 21 and still haven’t found anyone I really *click* with. But hey, good to know you’re doing just fine!

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it was bound to happen. A person who derives their worth and the worth of others on superficial things will go through ups and downs and will never be content. They will always be thinking about what others do for them. You dodged a bullet. You don't need this sort of drama in your life. A good woman will have honor and tend her own lawn rather than going to where the grass is greener. A good woman will communicate to you when something is bothering her or she doesn't feel loved because she takes responsibility for her own happiness and has the decency enough to consider your feelings.

Some people around here are saying you should have been more protective. However, once a woman already is looking elsewhere, you being protective is just going to cause her to resent and rebel against you faster. If she has already shown she is willing to stray, then the drama will only get worse and the power dynamic has shifted. She is no longer invested. You going out of your way to prove your worth is not going to make her see you any different or act in a mature manner that you should expect out of a partner.

You are young. Find a down-to-earth woman who respects her man and doesn't just look for what you can do for her.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • If you cheat on someone, you simply don’t love or respect that person fiercely enough. You don’t build love in a day and you don’t lose love in a day. However, if a person isn't tending to the relationship and it drives you to want to cheat, then that means you also didn't speak up, you didn't take the effort to hold on and do the proper work to make things work.

If all we care about is what others can do for us, then we will always base our "love" on that rather than on the love we give.

• Exactly. Find that woman who simply adores you. She should be putting in just as much effort if not more than you. She should be excited to be with you. She should motivate you to be the best you can be. A good woman will want you to be direct, but she will foster the right type of dialog for that to happen. You will know that she is consenting to your dominance when and if she wants it. Over time, that rapport will come naturally.

What you don't want is an apathetic woman who only cares about her needs. A woman who has expectations, viewing the relationship from the outside in like an integrator looking through a one-way mirror testing you and holding every little misstep and "mistake" against you. Who needs that stress? Who needs the drama of a woman who is going to hold a tally and never express her desires, dreams, and her love for you?

• I have always said, a good woman has the power to raise a man up to the highest heights, make him feel invincible with her by his side, motivate him to go beyond even his own passions and ambitions. A bad woman will judge you, attempt to tear you down, play games, and only passes blame on you, never looking at her own role in the relationship.

Granted, you may get shit tested, even the best of them do it. The key to handling it is just to ignore it like water off a duck's back, or joke about it and make light of the situation. She says "Oh, you are a terrible driver", then you just say "Yeah, I got an F grade in driving school" and laugh it off. Just an example.

Also yeah, if you don't stand up to a woman doing inappropriate things, like kissing on another guy, she is going to think you don't care about her as much as you say you do. I still firmly believe she wouldn't have done that if she didn't already lose attraction though.