How do you know when you're ready to start dating again after a bad break up?

I don't really think about him too much anymore, or wish for him to come back. He did break my heart, but after some time, I'm doing great again. The thing is I do get sad every once in a while (like 2 times a month or something) with all the memories and loneliness, but I don't need anyone to cure the loneliness, and the memories fade. Also I'm starting to enjoy flirting with other people again. I don't want any rebound, so I was wondering, how do you know when you're ready to start dating again? How did you know?

216

What Guys Said 16

• I think you are ready if what you say is true. You know you´re ready when you can be by yourself and start to have that itch to meet new people. When you eventually go on a date, if you can feel butterflies in your stomach and then develop even the slightest of crush, you´re good to go. Only going for it will tell you the answer for sure.

• After a few months, especially when you can barely remember what they look like anymore or barely their name. And when you see or meet someone new who you feel attracted to, it's time to start dating again. But each to their own pace. It's not a race.

• When you meet someone that is actually worth dating. It's not a time-thing, you don't just forget about a past lover at some point.

• I have recently met someone that might be worth dating and I'm starting to get a serious crush on him. I just don't want to end up hurting anyone if I find out I'm not actually ready for something real and that it might be some rebound thing. After all I do still miss my ex from time to time and feel sad about it. But I don't want him back anymore though, I'd like it much more to make this crush thing work out.

• Of course it happens if it happens and I don't play mind games. It's just that I've been a rebound, my friends have been rebounds and so on and I know how much it hurts and screws you up so I never want to do that to anyone. I don't really get why people get in to rebound situations but I never want to do that to anyone. They say you don't necessarily know it's a rebound yourself before you realize you're actually not over your ex. But for me I want it to be real or it's not gonna happen.

• Okay how did you know that this is actually worth to make love with

• Women began to sexually arouse me again. It was 12 YEARS after my first wife died that it started to happen again; so there's no rush... Which is not to say I didn't have sex; just that the thought of it alone wasn't sufficient.

• I started my search for love again when I realized that it was no longer her specifically I wanted, but just someone to fill the loneliness in my life.

• I started about a month after the breakup looking for someone new. I had some left over baggage but I know that life isn't going to wait for me so I took many chances. I'm still looking but I'm at least enjoying life.

• Good for you for not rebounding some poor guy.

• I got out of a 5 year marriage amd started dating too soon. Id say about 8 months. Then just go casually. Dont commit. Go on a few dates so you can rediacover what you like. Take it really slow

• When you fall in love

• There is no set time to start dating again. If you meet someone you enjoy being around and talking with, its time to chat them up. Everyone needs someone to cure their loneliness. Noone wants to be lonely.

• I don't want to use another person to make my life less lonely. I know I can be totally happy on my own without being lonely, I've done that before and most of the time that's the case. Some time ago it wasn't and I could've taken anyone just to make me feel less sad, but I don't think that would've been fair to them. I want to WANT someone, not need them. And yes, I've met someone and enjoy being around them and talking to them. Yet I did just recently get sad about the last relationship not working out and kinda missed my ex (not necessarily wanting him there, just missing him in my life). I don't want to end up hurting anyone new with my drama if I find out I'm actually not ready to start anything new yet.

• If you know you dont want to move on than you can't move on. Think thoroughly and or chat with your ex.

• Whenever you are hungry, you are ready

• You don't. Just give it a try.

• Give some time to heal, forget about the other person and then have fun!

• When we find another girl attractive then the ex girlfriend

• I honestly feel like this could have been my ex writing this. It sounds just like the way she'd say things too (only missing a serious lack of grammar).

We've been broken up a year now and I feel I'm in the same position as this. If I were to give my own ex advise in relation to this question, it would be:

It'll be hard to ever find love again if you don't open yourself to the idea of dating. Test the waters, if you decide after 1, 2, 3 dates or whatever that you're not particularly interested or it doesn't feel right, call it a day.

You won't be using someone as they're probably in the same position as you if you think about it.

You gotta know that they won't take as much offense as you think if you call it off and you also gotta learn to to accept that this might happen to you a couple of times and that it's just normal.

What you had with your ex was special but you both know that you grew apart from each other and wanted different things from life. Cherish what you had, don't be ashamed of how things turned out and look forward to the rest of your life.

Most importantly to remember that he'll always care about you and that he wants nothing more than for you to find happiness and peace in life.

• When it feels right

What Girls Said 2

• When you fully moved on or you decided to let that person go

• If I am completely over then I am ready.

• What does that mean for you? Never thinking about them at all?

• Not never thinking but not having any feelings when he comes to my mind.