Would you let your significant other room with the opposite sex?

Say your boyfriend or girlfriend told you they are letting sum1 of the opposite sex(they don't know well supposedly) share a room in the house would you..

• Say it's cool, you trust the situation and your significant other
  • Say no, because it sounds like a recipe for disaster, I mean anything could happen.
Select a gender to cast your vote:

149

Most Helpful Girl

• It's better to not even put temptation there. Why do that to yourself? We all struggle with temptation. That's like putting someone who s on a diet in a bakery. Something is gonna happen, the cake is NOT safe, I repeat- The cake is not safe.

What Guys Said 9

• This sounds pretty strange. One thing to be sharing a house, but the SAME room? I'd ask a few questions and demand a few answers.

• Not the same room - she has her own in the house its a 2 bedroom

• I wouldn't have much problem with sharing a house..some women prefer this because they are safer from pervs...and guys like it because they are going to meet all her friends,,,but it's true he'll likely get ideas about this girl as well. I'd want to meet and have a little talk with this girl!

• you don't live with your boyfriend but he's letting another girl live with him? how strange. no, I would never tolerate it. not in a million years...

• Ive bounced between half a dozen apartments and living situations most with the opposite gender and I have not once been close to anything romantic and I'm single, so unless your boyfriend/girlfriend is a pathological flirt or likes to get around, it shouldn't be a problem

• Then again because I'm bi, my wife probably wouldn't want me sleeping in the same room with someone else regardless of gender.

• Very strange. Why not you?

• If you say that your OK with it and their sharing a room to gether your just asking to get cheated on I let my ex girlfriend do the same thing and she cheated on me that same week

• Unless it was a gay guy or my dad other from that

No...

• lol hell no another room in the house yes, but the same room? is this question for real?

• I am not talking about the same room here come one - its a 2 bedroom she is in the other and he has his geez

• Ohhh OK I guess I didn't read the question properly my bad. To be honest yes I would who cares, you see houses with mixed sexes all the time, I don't know what the big deal is. Plus I think its very manipulative of me not letting somebody else do their life on their own, or choosing the people who she relates or lives with. To be honest I always think that girls cheat on guys because of our own fault, not the other way around.

• No, it does say the same room, no one really assumed it meant another room. The question asker didn't clarify, not your fault for the misunderstanding.

• Do you mean to suggest that you somehow have the "right" to allow, force or prevent your significant other from living somewhere or with someone?

I don't believe you or anyone has such a right, and it's overstepping the boundaries of a relationship to pre-suppose or insist that you do.

I feel a more appropriate question would be:

"would your significant other not live in a house, where he or she intends to share a room with a member of the opposite sex, whose sexual orientation is heterosexual, if your significant other was aware or substantially certain that doing so would cause you considerable emotional distress?"

(notice how YOU aren't pre-supposing any "right.")

This is simply a question of considering what the significant other "would do," and more importantly, by his or her own free will, and not due to any coercion, force, threat or pre-supposed "relationship right" claimed to exist.

So, if I'm the boyfriend (in your hypothetical), and I found a house I want to live in; the rent is cheap; the location is close to my job; the space is great; utilities are included; the owner has no problem with my pet tiger, etc.. and one or more of my room-mates "might be" heterosexual females, here is how I would approach the problem:

The first thing I would do would be:

(i) disclose the fact that there are going to be female roommates, that may be heterosexual.

(ii) make honest representations about their sexual attractiveness, in order to allow my girlfriend to properly form an informed emotional opinion of the matter

After fully disclosing to my girlfriend all that I'm aware of, I wait for her emotional reaction:

(A) if she doesn't feel comfortable or is seriously worried about the possibility of me cheating on her, but I know with substantial certainty (not just "reasonable," but not "absolute" either) that I wouldn't be any more likely to cheat on her and that the benefits of living in that dwelling significantly outweigh the costs of any emotional insecurities on her part which lack a reasonable or well-founded basis; then I would chose to live there.

(B) if she doesn't feel comfortable or is seriously worried about the possibility of me cheating on her, but I either (i) know with reasonable certainty that I may be more likely to cheat on her in such an environment, or (ii) that the benefits of living in that dwelling do not significantly outweigh the costs of any emotional insecurities on her part (real & internal, not simply external or and act or show she puts on), even if such fears lack a reasonable and well-founded basis; then I would try to modify my living arrangements.

(C) if she does feel comfortable and isn't seriously worried about the possibility of me cheating on her, but I know with reasonable certainty that I may be more likely to cheat on her in such an environment; then I would try to modify my living arrangements.

(D) if she feels comfortable & isn't worried, and I know I wouldn't be more likely to cheat; live there.

• Rewording as I refer to let - meaning agree- would you agree on it or no?

• I wouldn't care, I trust my girlfriend. And if she is to cheat, then any effort on my part prior to the fact is meaningless. What would happen was bound to happen anyway, I was just delaying the inevitable. So there's no point in me worrying about it. She either loves me and I can trust her, or she doesn't and I'll have to find someone else. Simple.

• Thats true

What Girls Said 13

• i would say no way! why's he even want to share a room with another girl?

• "Let?"

He isn't my property,so he can do as he pleases.I would only go out with someone I trust,but if he crosses the boundaries,bye-bye.

• Let- agree is what I mean. So you would be cool with it. Well my boyfriend has a hot roomate- I have my doubts. You never know. I don't agree that she is there but what do you do? let it go I guess.

• I said yes, but of course it would be circumstantial. I've lived with several guys in my life and nothing came of it but a living arrangement.

And the question is unclear. It does say the same room. It's not clear that you mean 2 seperate rooms.

• If this was like this before me and them started dating, I wouldn't really have much of a say in the matter. However if it was after, I would not be very happy about it one bit.

• it;d be pretty strange for your boyfriend to be living with another girl but not his girlfriend. I wouldn't like it if my boyfriend lived with another girl.

• I voted A and see that most the other girls voted B. This says to me that guys are generally more trusting about us girls. Funny huh.

• It would be up to them in the end. I wouldn't be onboard with that though. Not at all. If we aren't rooming together, I most certainly wouldn't feel comfortable having him room with another woman. Nope, that's a dealbreaker. Unless the woman is family, nope.

• i would be like, "OH HELL NAW"

• Definitely, seperate rooms= no problem. If you can't trust him to do that you shouldn't be with him.

• i would tell him he's a d*** for even considering it and then if he let her move in id leave him

• I would have no choice but to "let" them, if it was what they wanted to do. But I wouldn't like it and I'm not sure I could handle staying with them if they chose to do so. If he's going to live with a girl, why not me?

• I'm apparently in the minority that said yes. They're sharing a HOUSE not a bed, and besides if your significant other wants to cheat on you, he/she doesn't need a roommate of the opposite sex to do it, he/she just will. Now, that being said, I'm going to qualify my yes. If my boyfriend has other roommates and needs another to pay the rent, advertises and finds one I have no issue with that. If he has made no mention of needing/wanting a roommate and suddenly decides to have one, my antennae might go up but I wouldn't STOP him, although I'd want to meet her. If I was still uncomfortable, still got an uneasy feeling, I'd tell my boyfriend that and if he still decided to room with her, I'd probably be wary but more concerned that he doesn't care if a situation makes me uncomfortable. (Unless he makes the effort to ease my concerns of course).

And, just as a side note, I don't really think in a relationship other than parent/child anyone should LET or FORBID anyone else from doing something. That just bugs me, if a guy were to tell me I couldn't do something just because he didn't like it, I would not be very happy. So, in al fairness, I try not to tell my boyfriends what they can and can't do with their lives. I suggest, I tell them how things make me feel, but I have never handed out an ultimatum.

• Let - meaning agreeing. He does whatever - I do whatever. She is hot and single I can't change that hopefully temptation won't give in I guess and if so yeah I guess was delaying the inevitable

• Got it, I certainly didn't mean to imply you exercise undue control over you partner.

• If she is an old hag. Then alright