After a breakup, should the two Exes return each other all the gifts and money spent?

It happens in divorce, why not breakups?

• Yes! Of course!
  • Nooooo! :C
  • No -_-
    Vote C
Anyone who chose "No -_-" instead of "Noooo :C" is a boring lame jerk.
I regret asking this question, it was a shower thought before I had to go to class this morning.

2212

Most Helpful Girl

• You don’t return things in a divorce. You split marital assets and if one party earns significantly more then the other they continue paying for the others lifestyle for a period of time.
    The only gifts that should be returned is an engagement ring or a family heirloom. Everything else is theirs as a gift is a transfer for ownership

Most Helpful Guy

• It does not happen in divorces. In a marriage, the assets are shared, and so they are split up during a divorce.

Gifts have nothing to do with it. If a husband gives his wife a car for a birthday present, and they divorce, the car is excluded from the assets that are split up (provided she can prove it was a gift, or he can prove it was not a gift).

What Girls Said 21

• "Anyone who chose "No -_-" instead of "Noooo :C" is a boring lame jerk."

You came up with that option, so what does that say about you? You have boring lame jerk thoughts before you shower, LOL!

And actually in a divorce you do not give back gifts because legally you gave them away willingly, and you do not give back money in retrospect. You may pay money going forward like alimony or child support, but really if you are arguing over paying for a child you created... well... but I do think if you are no longer married, giving back things like a wedding ring that was a family heirloom is probably a good idea if you have a soul left.

• I have never really been in a relationship where I was in love and then broke up with him but I have been in the same one and only relationship the last 8 years so therefore I do not know for sure what everyone else thinks.
    My husband was in a 3 year relationship before being with me and he lived with her. She took his video games, legos, jeans and what not and he some times mentions it but he says that he didn't are to go back and get the legos and stuff because he was done with her. he is kind of a pushover, which is really bad. He just wants to make everyone happy, so if the salesman of a car said he wanted the car for 30000 and it is only worth 20000 my husband would pay the 30000 because he wants to make the sales man happy. That's just the kind of guy he is, so he could care less if she didn't return the stuff... but then why does he talk about it? Don't ask me.

• Funny and sad question at the same time 😐

• and your an idiot for saying anyone whom chose no -_- as why would that make anyone boring?

• In divorces any gifts that were given during the marriage should be kept by the reciever, unless other wise discussed. In a prenuptual agreement is a signed document written by husband and wife noting that incase of a divorce who gets what. Usually anything bought together in marriage is split between the two people or specificly outlined in the agreement. In my opinion it should be the same in a relationship break up. Anything given to someone in a relationship should be kept by the receiver. It was a gift they recieved from their partner during the relationship. You don't just take things back if you break up and are feeling angry or mad. If you buy something for your partner and say "if we break up, I want this back, " that's a different story I guess. But in my opinion its just petty and selfish.

• They were gifts, they were given. But if you have some of his clothes or stuff at your place then yeah return those

• A gift is a gift. If you give something to someone as a gift, you should not expect it back. Why would you even want your ex’s stuff?

• No, especially not money that was already spent on each other. Gifts are gifts for a reason and neither person should have to return something unless it's a family heirloom or something extremely important to the other person.

• I personally don't think so no.

• If i had to return all the gifts and money spent in my 6 year relationship, id go broke. There is to much shit to think of for that. Count it as a loss and move the hell on.

• No because gifts are not given to take back.

• Divorce is legal documentation of the relationship. A relationship where you won your girlfriend a stuffed bear is just something you did nice for her because you liked her. Don't be so petty.

• No I’d just burn it or toss it away

• No just leave. no need of being petty

• No unless it's a family heirloom

• No..

• No sounds stupid.

• My boyfriend and I have agreed that it would hurt more. I feel it is like you regret it, or you don't want to remember that part of your life. But again, ofc, maybe there is a reason you don't want to remember.

• I’m a boring lame jerk. Thanks for pointing that out. ☹️

• I agree with returning expensive gifts but no need to return cheap ones.

• You don't have to return the gifts.

What Guys Said 11

• Yeah you don't give back gifts. But you do have to split assets in a divorce. However for just a breakup it depends on how long you dated for? You can't keep a record of all expenditures and then. Ask for it back? Who does that? I would only ask for something back if it had sentimental value to you or if it was bought like just before the breakup and is still returnable (especially if the other person was caught cheating or some other bad behavior where they were at fault).

• What am I going to do with all that girly stuff. I just want my sweats back.

• I wouldn't say so. I wouldn't want the stuff back id bought someone and I wouldn't want to give them back the stuff they got me

• No, giftd are gifts. For example I don't care about her giving me back the lingerie I bought for her, that's non-sense. It's different if you've. bought a house or a car obviously

• A gift is a gift. It is not a loan.

• The really big ones

• Marriage is basically binding your lives together. While being is a relationship outside of marriage is an option you can just leave anytime (don't be a dick though).

• My ex must owe me £20k+ lol wishful thinking if i believe I'll see that again

• No -_-

• I'd gift her more to never see her again 😂😂

• leave it at that its not worth the bother