How to have the break up talk?

how do break up with someone you've been with for five years? I love him but I don't think it's going to work out. if you want more history on this just look at my profile and see the questions I've asked regarding relationships.

It's hard to talk to him to begin with, I don't know how to do this

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Well this is one of the toughest things a woman can do... but here is my take. Do it face to face. Be frank. Make it about you and not him. Keep it short. Move on. It will hurt there is no avoiding that but if you are honest and upfront it will help both of you move on quicker. He may even respect you after the dust settles.

0|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Well said 👌 dont give him pity except for the fact that you say you cherished the time you had together. But its not what it was anymore and you're moving on or something.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 20

• Honesty, brutal or not, is imperative. He may be unhappy with the facts, but I believe he will be better off later on because you were honest. Do this in person. If you cannot say these things out loud write them down, but sit with him as he reads it. Answer his questions but do not pity him. Respect his thoughts, but if this is what you want, do not let him sway your choice. Be firm in your statements. I hope all goes well. Good luck.

1|0
    0|0
  • This may be a little dumb but I've been thinking of ways to do it as well. Try the "It's not you it's me" line. It'll get the point across in the first line. Back it up with "you're a great (gender pronoun)" "but I don't believe that this is going to go anywhere, I don't want you to think it'd your fault, it's just my choice." "you'll always hold a special spot in my heart"

0|0
    0|0
  • As almost everyone said thus far, just be honest. Sit down and have a talk. There isn't a clear cut way to break up just dont be insensitive. Also if you love him but dont see a future is it because he's not putting effort? Or other reasons? Can you talk about those reasons if they are something you both can change and work on? Maybe he feels the same or maybe he dosent know what's going on but if there's mutual love then communication is always key no matter the situation

1|0
    0|0
  • Just make sure you have legit reasons for the break up, then expose them to him. Listen as well, he might have good points you haven't considered, at the end either it's gonna work or it isn't, there is no middle ground. Be honest though, don't make any of you waste your time any longer.

1|0
    0|0
  • You just need to be honest. You need to have the courage to be straight with him regardless of consequence. You're only wasting valuable time that could be spent with someone else at this point. How he feels isn't your priority.

1|0
    0|0
  • Just have the conversation soon as you can if he still thinks it will work the longer you wait the harder it will be so biding time trying to find a good moment won't work if he has different intentions just talk to him and make sure he listens and hopefully he loves you enough to understand your feelings

0|0
    0|0
  • Just write a break up letter. Let him know you are writing the letter because he's hard to talk to and tell him how you feel.

1|0
    0|0
  • To be honest with you, the best way is to be honest with him, don't bring try lie to him so it doesn't hurt him, honestly in the long one will help him also, sit down together and just tell him how you feel and that you can't be with him any more

0|0
    0|0
  • Begin with ignoring his call, pm or even in the street pretending heading somewhere... then after a time he will get the point and asked u... does he love u back... talk to him about futur familly childrenn, the majority will be scared...😊

0|0
    0|1
  • You can do it over the phone if you don't want to do face to face you should totally act on your feelings and tell him then go no contact it will be the easiest way for you both to move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • simply kiss him and while kissing hime let him know that its over , he will grap that wirds if he will have enough intelligence to think on it.

0|0
    0|0
  • The best way is to just be honest and up front with him. Chances are if you do not see a future with him. He probably feels the same way.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is my friend on gag who has been in a relationship with his fiancé for some years and she is 25 too. She always tells me that good communication is a key to a good relationship.
    If you are not feeling like he is the guy you want to spend your whole life then you should tell him straightforward. If you want to keep him as your friend then don't bother because you are leaving your relationship after 5 years which is a long time. I know he'll get hurt a lot but this is the best way to do it without any emotional words like people do in movies. This way you won't carry any emotional burden and he could also move on from you. You can tell him that he is not what you are looking for in a husband and you don't want your future to get ruined if you don't work on our problem today.

0|0
    0|0
  • you just explain why an break up in person or in a letter

0|0
    0|0
  • Start a conversation with "I don't like you anymore and you should die, die, die, die.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its hard to help when you never even been on a date

0|0
    0|0
  • Turn to him and say "you're fired"

1|0
    0|0
  • Do it face to face.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • dumbest reason to break up

"I love you, but we should break up"

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• You hopefully will talk to him amd tell him it over, I dated a guy for 6 months, and out of the blue I saw him out with another woman, I called him out in front of her, and he responded "well I didn't call/text you back in a week, didn't you get the hint" funny enough she slaps him as we BOTH asked "Do I have a crystal ball" Needless to say if he had just talked to me, we could have ended it quickly and possibly still been friends. Talk to him, keep it short, and leave. No need in the long "deep" conversation, just short to the point, and if he has any questions tell him too late...

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes