Can you remain friends with someone after a break up?

add comments
  • Yes
  • No
  • Are you kidding?
    Vote C
  • Depends
    Vote D

6579

Most Helpful Guy

• It is possible but rarely happens. It depends on many factors:

Was it an amicable breakup?
    How long did you date?
    Does one of you still want to get back together?
    Have both of you moved in with other relationships?
    Will you feel jealous when you learn that your ex has a new SO?

I broke up last year after a two year relationship. I decided to break up with her even though I still loved her (because I knew that she did not love me and never would.) I needed to avoid her for about three months and I started dating casually. I have seen her 4-5 times since August last year. We have met for dinner a few times and I took her to a concert (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) when my intended date did not materialize. We did not hold hands, we did not exchange a kiss at the end of the evening. . . and I still felt some pangs of regret. However, she is a good person, she is 66 years old, lives alone in a house, needs a guy to occasionally remind her of "homeowner" maintenance things; she needs help. If I remain a friend and can help her without doing any harm to myself, I will. I think we have both been mature in not blaming the other for the failure of our relationship and that has allowed us to maintain some friendship. This is an unusual set of circumstances. I have never previously been able to do this.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have some friends that experienced break up and couldn't see each other because it ended badly, but some other friends had good break up experience, in any case it is not easy to remain friends in my opinion