Guys, Could you guys tell me what this apologizing message he sent me on Valentine's Day means?

We were on-off for about 8 months. After he asked me to reconcile a third time and come to his country to meet, I understood that he was seeing someone else. The ghosting the day after I left his country and a picture on his Insta one month later confirmed it. I never texted him again. He then started to check my snap stories as he had never done it previously. Then he started doing it only occasionally. Throughout our story, he said things that made me think he felt like he did not measure up. He would compare himself to me as well. Once he justified his distancing (not from me but from the engagement he took with me) by saying that our relationship left him disappointed with himself. His new girl is a teenager finishing her BA while we both are about to start working. To my surprise, I got a text on Valentine's Day. He apologized for the way he dealt with our relationship and said his personal issues do not justify him. Now, he does have a few personal issues, but I feel like he might rather be talking about the girl. I think he still thinks I did not figure out that he started dating her shortly before I went to visit. He also said he is terribly mad at himself for the way he dealt with us and that he thought he would feel less guilty with time, but he still does. He then added he would have wanted to be the man I saw in him, but was incapable of being it. He said he hopes I am doing fine, wished me well and that I do not meet another jerk like him. He even said he knew this message would bring up bad memories. I did not respond cause I think that was another selfish move. I am angry and still hurt. I wish his apologies were enough, but they are not. However, I noticed that their pictures are still on social media, but he deleted it from his whatsapp two days after the message and that he checked my last snap story. Another weird thing besides the fact he picked Valentine's day, is that he now lives on another continent. I just do not know what to think of it.
3