Is it unusual to be weird around your man's ex or someone he slept with in the past?

My boyfriend has an ex-girlfriend that he was with for five years before we got together. I don't know if it's because of all the history, or what it is at all, but every time she comes up in conversation it makes me really uncomfortable and it seems to happen all the time. So basically my question is, is it normal to feel weird around your boyfriend's ex, or just uncomfortable to be around anyone your boyfriend has slept with? Cause it's not just the ex-girlfriend.. It mostly is, but even around girls I know he's got sexual history with, I'd just rather not be around them when he's with me.. So am I over-reacting or is this normal?

24

Most Helpful Guy

• Some guys think; its cool if I still hang out with my ex while having a new girlfriend, its not awkward at all because I have a new girlfriend and she's the woman I'm currently dating/in love with/whatever.

I'd say its normal how you feel.

Personally I just keep it to myself if I'm still hanging out with someone I've slept with in the past as at this point its just a friend or acquantance so I'll describe the relationship as such and there's no point bringing it up.

• Why do guys think that? wouldn't they feel uncomfortable if their current girlfriend invited her ex to hang out?

• Because they don't look at it like that, I used to sleep with her or I used to date her is what they are thinking. They say we had some fun and NOW we are this(friends/acquantances) and I'm dating you..

Personally I wouldn't have issues if my girlfriend had a guy she slept with still being friends with her that I'd meet, she's with me now and if she believes he was better, she would still be with him.

I would joke about it that we've both seen her naked and playfully tease =)

What Guys Said 3

• She makes you uncomfortable because she is a threat. It's nature. You are trying to keep all the other tigers away from your prey.

• Don't worry about it, and it's not just a girl thing either.

It's natural to be wary of an ex, because that's the easiest person for them to cheat on you with if your relationship was having troubles. It's someone they've already been there with that knows them well and they're comfortable with. I've made a post previously about people that keep their exs as friends, because I don't think that's fair to the person you're trying to build a new relationship with...

• girls normally have this natural tendency of being jealous of another girl...so be cool it's all ok!

What Girls Said 2

• Thats totally normal. I feel the exact same way around my boyfriend's ex girlfriend and partner. I even feel uncomfortable when she comes up in conversation just because I know everything he's told me about her.

• Some people are more sensitive to that stuff than other people. I think it's gotta be pretty common.. most people don't want to think about their boyfriend or girlfriend getting sexual with someone else.

My boyfriend was with a female he was really in love with before we got together. This female's mom works at a store near my boyfriend's house, and I feel weird even when we go in there and run into the mom. I think I can be overly sensitive, but I think it's OK as long as you can keep things in perspective and not let feeling a little uncomfortable affect your relationship.