Ex started a relationship while we were still dating! has this happened to anyone else?

Hi everyone! So my ex is a narcissist and manipulator. All of last year we were in an open relationship. he didn't want to commit. i thought i was okay with that, but when we came back from 3 months of doing long distance over summer, i wanted more. i ended things because i wanted him to realize that he wanted to be in an actual relationship. for months he was following me everywhere, trying to talk to me every time we saw each other. yet he still was hesitant about committing. We talked in person in November, and i laid everything out for him. i broke down in front of him, and he finally saw how much he had hurt me, and how him trying to talk to me was not good for me. we went our separate ways, and i thought that was the last i would hear from him because he finally understood the gravity of the situation. A month goes by with no contact, and i was doing well, but right before winter break he asked to talk in person. we weren't on bad terms, so i agreed. He shared a love letter he had written me, and asked if we could try and be together. he told me that he loved me, and that he wanted to be with me. we were leaving for break, and would talk seriously when we got back, but while we were on break he said that he wouldn't see/hookup with anyone else. we tried to be together for 2 weeks when we came back, but it didn't work, we weren't happy, and we ended it mutually. its been a month, and i recently found out that he had started dating someone else a week after he had left for winter break. was essentially cheating on me over winter break, and even though him and this girl hadn't specifically said they were dating, she thought they were exclusive, so for the two weeks we were together and sleeping together and he was saying he loved me, he was cheating on her. he's a scumbag, i know this. he is blocked on every social media. but i just wanted to ask if anyone else has a similar experience? or just hype me up tbh cuz I'm feeling kinda shitty about the situation
2
1