Should I move on, or stay friends with him?

Until recently, I was dating a guy who told me that he didn't want a relationship with me or any woman for a while because he is still trying to get over his ex, and that he wanted to be "just friends" with me while he sorted through these issues. I tried the "just friends" thing for a little while, but in my heart, that is not what I want, so I told him that I don't want to be just his friend, and since he can't make that happen, I need to let him go.

He must have thought I was kidding, or just simply didn't care what I had to say, because today, he was right back in my face like nothing happened, wanting hugs and affection like nothing happened. When he didn't get an enthusiastic response from me (I was more confused than anything), he wanted to know why I was acting the way I was and was visibly upset that I wasn't as happy to see him as he had hoped.

My friends tell me I'm being too hard on him, and that I should just be friends with him anyway because hey, what could it hurt? But I feel like it's not healthy for me to be friends with him, because I'll always want more than he's willing to give me, and I feel like being his friend will allow him to treat me as an option that will always be there no matter what he decides to do, and I'm not that kind of girl.

Am I wrong? Should I just suck it up and be his friend, despite that not being what I want? Or should I stay strong and continue to establish distance in the hopes of getting over him? I really like him, and I miss having him in my life, but I don't want to be used by an emotionally unavailable man, either. I also absolutely refuse to have sex with him, and he seems willing to accept that, but not move on from me. Why?
4
4