Does 'just friends' really mean 'just friends'?

So, my ex boyfriend broke up with me about two weeks ago. We both attend college but his college is in Boston and mine is in Maine. He broke up with me over the phone. Recently, we both came home for the holiday weekend. He asked me to pick him up from the train station and then decided to go to the movies as friends. He kept putting his arm around my shoulders when we were walking. He also kept flirting with me and he was always smiling. But we never kissed or hugged or anything. I am confused as to what his intentions are. Does he want to get back together in the future? Or does he just want to remain friends?

11

What Guys Said 1

• Hard to tell really. Does he treat other female friends similarly? If so, then maybe he does just want to be friends. If not, it's quite possible that he broke up because of the distance between you but still has feelings for you. You could always tell him that you're not comfortable with him being all touchy feely if he just wants to be friends.

What Girls Said 1

• I know how you feel. I'm going to be honest, breaking up with someone hurts a lot, but after the pain and heartbreak, you realize how much better you can do without them. Don't get me wrong, my ex and I have been broken up for almost three months. I still love him and he has a new girlfriend, but that's life. Maybe if its meant to be, he'll realize that after a while of separation things could potentially work out and stay that way. On the other hand, the separation could cause you two to realize how much being together wasn't right and you would both move on. Either way, you need to take the first step into realizing that you two aren't together anymore. I know you're going to miss him and I know the pain of thinking of that special someone 24/7, but don't lose hope! Have fun! Go out! Meet new people! You never know if you're happy ending will lie with this guy, or a new guy waiting out there. Good Luck and Stay Positive!