Is my "ex" putting me on probation period or he just really doesn't want to be with me anymore?

So my boyfriend came to my place with the intention to break up with me 5 days ago, but I convinced him to give me a final chance. The reason why he wanted to break up with me was that I got mad at him for the smallest things, I always picked fights and started unnecessary drama. He told me that every time I did something bad to hurt him his heart was breaking more and more. He always forgave me, but I guess he got tired of feeling used. I understand what I did wrong, but ever since that day he has been so cold and distant. I'm so nice to him, but he just won't open his heart to me again. We went out and he refused to hold my hand. This is really upsetting for me, because literally last week he was telling me that he didn't know what he would do without me and all, and now he hurts me so much. We talked last night on the phone and he said things that made me feel really upset, but I didn't say anything. I just want to know if he is just doing this to test me, or to protect his heart, but actually wants to be with me, wants me to fight for him... or his feelings have vanished and he just doesn't want to be with me anymore. My biggest fear is losing him, because he is the greatest person in the world, and seeing him act so cold breaks my heart. I just need to know if there is any hope and how could I get my boyfriend back.
2
1