I think my relationship is ending (on very good terms) and if that happens I want to keep our dogs - any ideas on how to approach this?

I feel like my relationship is most likely ending - no animosity from either side, he simply feels we are growing apart. We will very likely stay good friends because we do love each other. He came into the relationship with two dogs living at his place and they were not happy - crated all day, anxiety, never exercised, wouldn't eat so were too skinny etc. I fell in love with these dogs, so I offered to take them so they would live with me since I had time for them.

I work from my home (huge yard) and they are with me all day. They gained weight, their coats are gorgeous, they are happy, and don't like to be away from me. I was gone for a week last month and they stayed with him, they wouldn't eat, barely drank, and were clearly upset.

They are his dogs and he loves them, but lacks the 'nurturing instinct' to take care of them even in a basic sense (i. e. not taking them outside until noon, 14 hours after they last went out, because he forgot). They have been living with me over 8 months, sleeping in my bed when my boyfriend is gone. I've been taking them to the vet, handling all of the care and I love these dogs SO much. I don't want to take his dogs from him, I just don't want to see them go back to how they were when I met them. I will feel like I'm losing my children if he takes them because at this point, they are my dogs too.

Before I took them, he was ready to give one away: he couldn't stand him due to his anxiety and the behaviors along with it, but now that I have him and he's a happy well-adjusted dog he all of a sudden loves him again. He completely acknowledges the fact that they are way happier with me, they aren't with him, and he's always been outwardly grateful to me for the care of them.

This may seem stupid to be this invested/intense about dogs, but it's really important to me that we both are happy, the dogs are happy/healthy, and I'm hoping someone out there has some input on how to approach my boyfriend about this.

Thank you for reading
3
0