My ex is confusing me, what do I do?

Okay
So come from a beautiful 2.5-year relationship, he left me 2 months ago.
About three weeks ago he messaged me and said that he missed me but he wasn't sure if he was ready to try again.
We met up for a lunch date two weeks ago, and we talked like normal, and he kissed me.
Since then its been a back and forth discussion about what we want to do.

He knows I want to be with him.
But I receive responses like

"There's, not a part of me that doesn't see us together in the future, but right now I can't see me being the guy you deserve.
You're more than worth it, that's the problem. I don't know how to handle myself let alone a relationship now, and I can guarantee that if you'd hate me in two weeks because of work.
I can't give you the relationship you want. I want to be that guy but right now I'm not"

The most recent exchange of messages, I told him I just wanted to understand. That while I want him immensely, waiting around for someone, that can't make a decision is so difficult in my heart and my mind.
And I got the response "I just don't know what to say"

1. How do I reply to that?
2. What's going on?
My ex is confusing me, what do I do?
1
2