If your SO cheats on you, is there a chance you would stay with them? Why?

I understand that different people have different circumstances, but I don't understand why someone would stay with someone who cheats on them REPEATEDLY. Why? I just don't understand it.

I for one consider cheating to be an automatic breakup, and that it is highly, highly unethical. I don't care if it's in retaliation against a cheating partner. Two wings don't make a right, and hole need to hold themselves at a higher standard. On the other hand, by saying that cheating voids a relationship, then retaliatory cheating isn't really cheating, is it? 🤔
That last bit was a thought exercise; point is, just don't cheat for any reason.

I would go as far as say that if someone enables a cheater, they are equally guilty. Of course an exception here is that if you thought someone was single, but they lied to you.

Of course, there are exceptions: rape =/= cheating; rape is rape. Risky sexual behavior due to mental illness or brain disease or injury also isn't cheating. Basically a cheater has to be of sound mind and be willing to cheat for that to be considered cheating. That's what the folks in the legal profession call "mens rea".

So, have you ever forgiven a cheating spouse or partner? If so, why? If not, why? If you've ever been in that situation, how would you handle it?
5
5